Corsair Community

Abit AW9D-MAX problems

oguessous

Everything works on the new system I built, except for the XMS2 Corsair DDR2-800 2GB kit I purchased (TWIN2X2048-6400). I can only use 1GB at a time, and it will only run with the SPD specs that the mobo sets (667 instead of 800, and running at 5-5-5-15). I updated the bios (ver 1.3), I tried increasing the voltage from 2.1v, I tried setting the latency to 5-5-5-12 as indicated on the RAM. I also tried 4-4-4-12, and other settings recommended by CPU-z . Nothing doing. The system will either refuse to boot, or will crash after 15 min. I can't tell you how many times I cleared the CMOS! :)

I am extremely disappointed, since this RAM is supposed to be compatible with my Abit AW9D-MAX board (rig in signature). I am RMA'ing this to newegg. Will another Corsair DDR2-800 kit work for me, or should I go with another brand? Would the 4-4-4-12 version of the XMS2 work? Please only refer me to RAM that was tested with this mobo :sigh!:

Thanks...

• Corsair Employee

This MB is based on Intel I975 chipset and will be default set the memory to 667, and in order to run the memory at there tested settings you would need to over clock the memory and according to many posts on Abits forum not matter who's memory you need to Increase the MCH Voltage as well.

I would suggest doing a bit more research about your MB at some of the over clocking forums to see how the MB may need to be set. But what you have post would be normal if the bios is not configured properly. Or you can call our Tech support at 800-205-7657 and we will be happy to try and help you.

With all due respect, that is a vague and unhelpful response. Not what I would expect from Corsair customer service (the support site of Corsair referred me to this forum). So basically, it's up to me to research and figure out :eek:

Oh well, I'll RMA this and get the competing P.a.t.r.i.o.t. Extreme RAM which, based on my tests, performed flawlessly with only minor bios changes...

You may be a victim of a Vdimm overvolting board which is a frustrating characteristic. These can often be the characterstics of overvolt. You raise the voltage a bit higher than recommended and which should not effect the system or dram and you immediately experience crashes.

I would try a Hard Reset of your system and set your DRAM voltage to 1.9v and test. 2.0 would be the next step. Overvolting boards can be quite tempermental.

1. Remove the ATX Power Plug.
  2. Remove the Power 20/24 pin connector (Motherboard)
  3. Remove the Power 4-pin 12 volt connector (Motherboard)
  4. Remove the CMOS Battery
  5. Remove the RAM
  6. Remove the Video Card
  7. Remove all other PCI/PCI-e Cards
  8. Press the Power Button and hold for 10 seconds to drain mainboard components

Let stand for a few hours

1. Replace the Power 20/24 pin connector (Motherboard)
  2. Replace the Power 4-pin 12 volt connector (Motherboard)
  3. Replace the CMOS Battery
  4. Replace the RAM (In the first slot closest to the Processor)
  5. Replace the Video Card and PCI/PCI-e Cards
  6. Replace the ATX Power Plug

I like the Hard Reset because it drains any possibility of bitflip corruption at the BIOS level.

Hope this helps ;)

Derek

Archived