Corsair Community

TWIN2X1024-8500C5 and Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6

The Puma

Is this memory (TWIN2X1024-8500C5) compatible with the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 REV 1 and REV 2 board

Did the board boot without changing the Memory parameter (VDIMM) in the BIOS

The standard voltage for the memory (VDIMM) = 1,8v

You will be able to boot but I advise entering the BIOS and setting the DRAM to 2.2V if you are going to make use of either higher bandwidth or tighter timings.

I find that 2.0v works fine at 800Mhz 4 - 4 - 4 - 12 but 2.2v gives me 3 - 3 - 3 - 9 timings. If I want 1000+Mhz then I need 2.2v.

• 7 months later...

I've had a NIGHTMARISH experience with the combination of the GA-965P-DQ6 1.0 and 2 X 1GB of XMS2 PC2 8500C5 1066Mhz. I'm extremely demoralized and have spent more time trouble-shooting and doing RMAs instead of gaming with my team - I'd appreciate any help. :biggrin:

The Problems

When I bought my new gaming rig back in Sep of 06, it took a lot of research and fiddling around before I got the system relatively stable. I was able to run the memory at 1066Mhz with 5-5-5-15 timings @ 2.2v. However, I still got occasional lock-ups and CTDs, so I eagerly updated the MB BIOS after each new release in hopes of improving stability - unfortunately the system actually became LESS stable until finally the Raid Array became corrupted.

So I did a lot of research and took my time to download the latest drivers and firmware for EVERYTHING - I even updated the firmware on my hard drives. :sunglasse

Well I low-level-formatted the drivers and started over with a new install of XP64. This time the system appeared to be more stable, except for the fact that I was no longer able to run the memory any faster than 800mhz - as a matter of fact the system would blue-screen if I booted with DRAM Timing set to anything other than SPD/Auto.

Well, months had passed and the MB BIOS was now up to F11 (from F8 when I bought everything). The system worked for a couple of more weeks with the DDR2 running @ 800, until the Raid Array got corrupted again. I read recently that this has been a common problem with this particular MB. After playing around with the RAM settings, the system got stuck where it would go into restart-fits, powering up for a few seconds, then restarting again etc., The only way to stop this is to remove the battery from the MB and reset the CMOS. It seems to be the MB doesn't like the DDR2 at 2.2v anymore. I've read in other reviews and forums that others have had trouble getting the MB to run memory above 1.8 - 1.9v.

And just to clarify the situation, I've since replaced my video card, to no avail. I returned the MB to NewEgg and requested revision 3.3 as a replacement. I still had blue-screen issues with the 3.3 board - I tried installing XP64 twice as well as Vista 64 on the replacement, but ran into Blue Screens, reboot fits and raid array corruption again even on this latest revision.

I RMDed revision 3.3 again and got another revision 1.0 MB replacement which I currently have. This 3rd MB works no better as the system goes into reboot fits when the DDR2 volts are set above 1.9. Stability is still a problem. It's wierd because this 3rd board has a LAN issue, as did the 2nd board (may just be coincidence since LAN on 1st board worked perfectly).

I just seem to be unable to get this system stable, after almost a year of trying and several months of down time. :(: Apparently others have had the same problems with this MB, as it seems to be very temperamental with higher voltage memory. I am RMAing this 3rd board and insisting upon a refund from NewEgg, as I'm looking to put this disaster behind me and purchase an ASUS P35 DDR2 board. But, before I embark upon another project, I really need to understand why this MB/DDR2 marriage failed. I want to make sure I won't have more problems trying to use this memory with my new MB.

I've run MemTest-86 v3.3 with the following settings/specs (Legacy USB Support off) and received no memory errors after several passes. I need to know what all of these settings SHOULD be, because I may end up having the have the same problem with my new board. I paid for 1066Mhz so I hope to run this memory at this speed on this: ASUS P5K PREMIUM/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35

GA-965P-DQ6 rev 1.0 (tried rev 3.3 as well) - BIOS F11

CPU Clock Ratio: [X9]

CPU Host Clock Control: [Disabled]

CPU Host Frequency(Mhz): [100]

PCI Express Fequency: [Auto]

C.I.A.2: [Disabled]

System Memory Multiplier: [Auto]

Memory Frequency: [800]

High Speed DRAM DLL Settings: [option1]

DRAM Timing Selectable SPD: [Auto]

CAS Latency Time: [Auto]=5

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: [Auto]=5

DRAM RAS# Precharge: [Auto]=5

Prechared Delay (tRas): [Auto]=18

ACT to ACT Delay: [Auto]=3

Bank Write To READ Delay: [Auto]=3

Write To Precharge Delay: [Auto]=6

Refresh To ACT Delay: [0]=42

Read to Precharge Delay: [Auto]=3

Memory Performance Enhance: [Normal]

DIMM OverVoltage Control: [+0.100v]

Other Components:

2 X 1 GB of XMS2 PC2 8500C5 1066mhz

Intel E6600 C2D Conroe @ 2.4Ghz (stock speed) + Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

2 X WD Caviar WD2500YS 250GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (Striped Raid Array)

BFG 8800GTX ******** (factory over-clocked)

Antec P180 ATX Case w/4 120MM fans on high

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 EPS12V:

AC Input

Operating Range: 90-264 VAC

.99 power factor

Frequency: 47-63Hz

Current: 12A

Efficiency: 83%

EMI: FCC-B, CE

DC Output

+5V @ 30A

+12V @ 60A

-12V @ 0.8A

+3.3V @ 24A

+5VSB @ 3A

Continuous = 750W

Peak = 825W

Regulation: 3% (+3.3V, +5V, +12V)

5% (-12V)

Ripple: 1% (p-p)

Hold Time: 16ms

PG Delay: 300ms

You noticed that too? :laughing:

The CPU is actually running at 266mhz * 9 (2.4Ghz), even though the [Auto] setting in the BIOS only says 100. That's another reason I'm RMAing this 3rd MB - it is odd but that's not the problem. The 1st 2 motherboards I tried also ran @ 2.4Ghz but did display the correct CPU speed @ 266.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that although the XMS2 PC2 8500C5 WILL run on the GA-965P-DQ6, it is not compatible when run @ 1066mhz or 2.2volts. It should probably be removed from the compatibility list, since most folks assume the memory compatibility is for stock speeds. Maybe I only got lucky when my 1st board ran @ 1066 for a couple of months, even though it teetering on the brink of instability before it fell over.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I found. It's funny because it was easier to run @ 1066mhz with the earlier BIOS versions. If I had left the BIOS alone and waited for the XP64 drivers to mature a bit more, I might have acheived the stability I was looking for. The real problem is I ran out of time to figure the precise configuration that would give me what I want.

For a replacement I'm going with an ASUS P5K3 Premium Black Pearl edition for which 1066 is the standard speed.

I do have another question. When my new MB arrives, I want to make sure I have the memory configured per spec. I checked the specs for the 8500C5 in in the forums, but couldn't find specs for the settings below.

What should I set these to for 2 X 1GB of XMS2 PC2 8500C5?

ACT to ACT Delay: [Auto]=3?

Bank Write To READ Delay: [Auto]=3?

Write To Precharge Delay: [Auto]=6?

Refresh To ACT Delay: [0]=42?

Read to Precharge Delay: [Auto]=3?

I'm not sure I trust what the MB sets them to automatically - it gets some of the other settings wrong.

I also just checked out the specs thread and found you've added some additional info, including what you just said about leaving the rest of the "unspecified" settings at [Auto].

Thanks guys! I only wish other companies supported their products with the kind of technical knowledge and caring that you guys do! Keep up the good work! :headbang:

Well this was informative. The compatibility list should be updated as I did specifically checked it before buying components. Obviously if I had searched around a bit I would have found the real answer. One last thing, you don't have to overclock to run the memory at 1066, you can just change the memory multiplier.

I was hoping the details of my "adventure" might have helped someone out who might be having the same problems. Both particular models of MB and Memory are rather popular.

When I had the memory running @ 1066 smoothly, I had the memory multiplier set to 4 (266 X 4 = 1066), but that was at an earlier BIOS version. Somewhere along the line, a BIOS update or driver update broke my lucky streak.

I should have paid more attention to the fact that the MB only "unofficially" supported 1066. The MB might run fine with memory @ 1066, if you can keep the volts at 1.9 or less.

Gigabyte also has newer editions of this MB line that run on the P35 chipset that do "officially" support higher FSB and memory speeds (don't know about the volts).

Yes, thank you. I was hoping that my board being a r3.3 would make a difference but I guess not.

It is perfectly stable with everything set to auto (800) and so I can't really be too unhappy. I still think the recommendation list should be amended to remove the faster modules for this motherboard.

I found test results from a guy who tried dozens of over-clock and voltage permutations with the GA-965P-DQ6 and PC85000C5. Although 2.2 volts is likely required to get 1066, there are other potential configurations that may get you running faster than 800 with less volts.

He was able to achieve stability with the following speeds & timings with less than 2.2 volts:

4-4-4-12@800 Mhz @ 1.9v

5-5-5-15@1050 Mhz @ 2.0v

So perhaps instead of running the memory faster than 800mhz, you can use more aggressive timings to improve performance. 1050 isn't too shabby at all, only 16mhz less than 1066, saves you a bit of energy & cooling and appears to achieve an optimal, stable marriage with this MB & Memory.

EDIT: I tested the 1st scenario and it worked great. I don't know how I'll be able to test scenario 2 without over-clocking. My System Memory Multiplier options for revision 1.0 are limited - I can choose between 3.0, 3.3 and 4.0. 3.3 only gives me 888mhz, but that's better than 800. I'll try a few more tests.

Archived