Corsair Community

Memory Read Error

WatZun

I was getting this error: The instruction at "0x241f94f7" referenced memory at "0x0d8bf41c". The memory could not be "read". While playing HL2.

Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-D

CMX512-3200C2 v1.1 dual channel, not matched set, but matching versions.

AMD64 3500+

2 BFG 7600GT in SLI.

Error appears to be unique to Half-Life 2.

One of the modules originally did not post, then did post for reasons I do not understand. (Tested it in 3 different Mobos that Would post using a different stick, then tried it again later and it worked and has ever since???)

Everything was fine till dual channel. I was able to obtain another matched version. But started getting this error: The instruction at "0x241f94f7" referenced memory at "0x0d8bf41c". The memory could not be "read". Only on HL2. Then I updated Bios and my original stick would not post again (just as before), but the other newly acquired stick would. But now it (the original stick) does??? (really stumped here.)

Now in dual channel my original stick must be in "second" dimm (3 or 4 depending on what slot first module is in) in order to for mobo to post.

It will not post in single channel (dimm 1 and 2) or when in "first" slot in dual channel (1 or 2)

Right now everything is OK, no more messages etc. The sticks are in dimm 2 and 4 rather than 1 and 3... (don't know if this can potentially make difference or not but its working and I don't want to mess w/ it.)

Mobo settings have been manually set to 2.5-3-3-6 and Disabled CPC (read somewhere that 512 sticks may need CPC disabled in DFI Mobos?) and the Trc has been set to 11 rather than what should normally be 9 (I think.) Am I taking a performance hit here?

Could there be a glitch in the one module? Did a Windows Memory diagnostic (is this the same as memtest?) and found no errors in all tests (standard and thorough.)

Any suggestions for optimal performance MOBO settings? Should I put the modules in Dimm 1 and 3?

One more note: When using CPUz or Sandra to detect memory timings, there is a discrepancy in the default timings (SPD) for each module: 2.5-4-4-8 for slot 1 and 2.5-3-3-8 in slot 2 (200 MHz.) Is this normal? Shouldn't they be the same? Heres some info...

System Memory Controller

Error Correction Capability : None

Number of Memory Slots : 4

Maximum Installable Memory : 16GB

Bank0/1 - A0 : Empty

Bank2/3 - A1 : Empty

Bank4/5 - A2 : DIMM 512MB/64

Bank6/7 - A3 : DIMM 512MB/64

Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks

Bank 2 : 512MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-6 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR2

Bank 3 : 512MB DDR-SDRAM 2.5-3-3-6 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR2

Channels : 1

Bank Interleave : 2-way

Speed : 2x 200MHz (400MHz data rate)

Multiplier : 1/11x

Width : 128-bit

Memory Controller in Processor : Yes

Cores per Memory Controller : 1 Unit(s)

Refresh Rate : 7.80µs

Power Save Mode : No

Fixed Hole Present : No

Memory Module 1

Manufacturer : Corsair

Model : CMX512-3200C2

Type : 512MB DDR-SDRAM

Technology : 16x(32Mx8)

Speed : PC3200U

Standard Timings : 2.5-4-4-8 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS)

Date of Manufacture : Saturday, December 25, 1999

Set Timing @ 200MHz : 2.5-4-4-8 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS)

Set Timing @ 167MHz : 2.0-3-3-7 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS)

Memory Module 2

Manufacturer : Corsair

Model : CMX512-3200C2

Type : 512MB DDR-SDRAM

Technology : 16x(32Mx8)

Speed : PC3200U

Standard Timings : 2.5-3-3-8 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS)

Date of Manufacture : Saturday, December 25, 1999

Set Timing @ 200MHz : 2.5-3-3-8 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS)

Set Timing @ 167MHz : 2.0-3-3-7 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS)

Thanks!!!

Hi im having the same problem with HL2. But have had other instabilitys with the system aswell.

The instruction at "0x241f94f7" referenced memory at "0x0d8bf41c". The memory could not be "read".

exactly the same as WatZun. the thing i found strange is that when running memtest86 it tells me that the memory is running @ 201Mhz and is DDR402:confused: and that the cas timings are 3-3-3-8. I have checked in the BIOS settings and all settings are as they should be, I also had some issues not being able to boot when one of the sticks was in, I also tried with the memory running in single channel mode it was then being detected by the BIOS as 166 :eek: Oh good god!!! I think the timings are messed up on the memory somehow. If anyone has any ideas id love to hear them :D: thanks in advance.

Hi Ramguy, I have been scouring the steam fourums, and it looks like it could be a graphics driver issue and not a ram issue, it seems that the latest steam update has issues with the latest nvidia drivers, so im currently using the beta drivers, and have had good success since installing them, I will post back if all is well, thank you for the advice you posted.

I have never seen the "Ram Can Not Be Read" issue to be a RAM hardware issue. Yes, there could be a RAM issue as well, but the "Ram Can Not Be Read" usually is fixed with a fresh system install. I have found it to be Graphics card drivers, software installations of suspect software origin (READ Cracked software) etc.

Always it has been a software issue and when I install fresh with the newest drivers I have found the problem to be alleviated.

Archived