Corsair Community

eVga 680i + Twin1024-6400c4..What's Up?

navav2002

OK...So I build my newest Rig..E6600, eVga 680i mb, 2gb Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4, eVga 8800GTX, PCP&C 1kw, DangerDen CPU block, ect..ect...

I get it together...It runs pretty nice for 3 or 4 days...Then BAM...Won't post...I did some trouble shooting and found I had a Dimm go bad(Slot1)...OK...My first hardware failure after building about 10 or so systems and tons of upgrading...Kewl...My first RMA...How about that... :p:

As to not be without my new Baby...I ordered another TWIN2X2048-6400C4 kit...The plan was...I'd RMA the first 2gb kit and run my new stuff until the RAM got back...Then I'd have 4gb which will come in handy with MS Flight Simulator 10 (FSX)...Sound's Good Huh... ;):

My new 2gb kit arrives today...I go ahead and swap it out...(Had been running on the 1 good Dimm in slot 0)...Guess what....With the 2gb installed...Won't Post...Huh...

Guess what else...The Dimm I put in "slot 1" is dead...Huh

What the Heck is Up???

I'm ordering a new(Asus) mb after I get finished typing this...

Just wondering if anyone else has had this sort of thing happen??

BTW...The Corsair Support dude I spoke with over the telephone was Great...No sweat setting up the RMA at all...Looks like I'll be repeating that process soon... :confused:

That would suggest some other problem, can you try the new modules alone in the system and then clear the MB bios? There should be a way to reset or clear the bios and see if it will post!

Thanks for the Reply...

Sure...As part of my "diognostic process"...I've broke the thing down to barebones, cleared the bios and tested the modules individually...(In Fact...I first suspected I had a bad mb)...But I have narrowed it down to the Dimms...

For clarity..My initial kit is v1...The new kit is v2.1...

I presently have one good v1 module and one v1 module that is bad...The computer will not boot if I install the bad dimm in any slot...ie: 1gb or 2gb configuration...This is the RAM that I built the system with initially...The dimm that is bad..Failed within the first week of operation...

The "New" RAM I just recieved is v2.1...I have one good v2.1 module and one v2.1 module that is bad...The computer will not boot if I install the bad dimm in any slot...ie: 1gb or 2gb configuration...When I got this RAM...I removed the good v1 module...I installed the two v2.1 modules into slots 0&1(blue slots) and the good v1 module into slot 2(left/black)...I cleared the bios...Started the system...Would not boot...It hung at code 52 on the eVga mb...(Test all mamory of memory above 1mb using Virtual 8086 mode, page mode and clear the memory)

Then I removed the v1 module...Cleared the bios...Tried running just the v2.1 in the blue slots(0&1)...No boot...

I removed the v2.1 module from slot1...Cleared the Bios...System booted and runs just fine...

Then I removed the Good v2.1 module and replaced it with the other v2.1 module...The system would not boot with that dimm as a single module...

Neither the v1 or v2.1 modules which I'm calling BAD will run as a single module in slot0...

Each of the two modules I'm calling Good will run without issue as a single module in slot0...

I'm presently running the Good v1 and v2.1 modules together in the slots 0&1(blue slots)...I have had no issues in 36hrs of operation...

I'm not sure what's up??

I've concluded that...I had a v1 module fail on me after a couple of day's of use...I had a v2.1 module bad out of the box...

Thanks for your Help...

Merry Christmas All...

Archived