Corsair Community

bad ram

rws

I have a bad stick of ram, it is twinx2048-3200. on the rma page it said both sticks should be returned to get another matching set. Do I have to send both back to get a replacement? since I don't have any to replace them with, I would be without a computer till I got a replacement.

Rob

yes you need to send back both sticks. it really sucks when this happens, right now im waiting for a new set for my brothers computer. what you may want to try is buying some generic 512 stick at your local walmart and use it until your replacements come in, then take the 512 back and tell them it was the wrong kind or something.

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Motherboard is a ASUS P4S800D-x

Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz, 800m 478p/512k

bios settings for the cpu and memory are whatever the defaults are. I wouldn't even know what to look for to tell you what they are.

I was trying to install the World of Warcraft game but couldn't, after trying all of their suggestions the teck guy said it was probably bad ram so I ran the microsoft checker and it came up with, WMATS+ failed 380 errors.

So I tried reseating the ram and that helped a little as it it only had 290 errors the 2nd time I ran it.

Next I removed #2 stick and ran it again, it had some 200 errors. so I replaced #1 with the #2 stick and ran the test again and that stick checked fine.

It is running fine on the 1 stick, I have noticed its booting a little faster and the errors I was getting about some programs not loading at startup are gone.

I am right in the middle of doing end of year tax reports so wouldn't be able to shut it down and send the sticks back until sometime in January

• Corsair Employee
Please load setup defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Ram guy

You lost me when you said to set the voltage to 2.75, where do you do that at?

I read the entire book that came with the motherboard and didn't see any place to set that in the bios or on the board.

I did find the legacy usb and disabled it and downloaded your memory checker and it showed that 1 module was bad.

Archived