Corsair Community

Suggestions for adding memory to Asus a8n-sli deluxe MB

rmsandy

I currently have an Asus a8n-sli deluxe MB with Corsair XMS 1GB (2x512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC3200) - TWINX1024-3200XLPT. I would like to add another 1 GB or 2 GB of memory to this PC (preferably 2 GB) in the remaining two open memory slots but I am unsure as to what would be compatible with my current memory. I looked at the complete list of available memory for my system but I am still at a loss as to what to buy (the original TWINX memory I purchased does not appear to be available any more).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :biggrin:

I currently have an Asus a8n-sli deluxe MB with Corsair XMS 1GB (2x512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC3200) - TWINX1024-3200XLPT. I would like to add another 1 GB or 2 GB of memory to this PC (preferably 2 GB) in the remaining two open memory slots but I am unsure as to what would be compatible with my current memory. I looked at the complete list of available memory for my system but I am still at a loss as to what to buy (the original TWINX memory I purchased does not appear to be available any more).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :biggrin:

Unfortunately, the IC chips used on the 3200XL modules are no longer in production. And your CPU is of an earlier core which will force your memory speed to drop to 166MHz/DDR333/PC2700 if you use more than 2 double-sided sticks of memory (and may not run stably at all at full DDR400 speed with all 4 DIMM slots filled with double-sided modules regardless of timings and voltage). As such, I'd suggest another use for your existing modules, and just replace them in your system with one TWINX2048-3200C2 series or TWINX2048-3500LL series kit.

Thanks for the reply, RJ. I can't say that I am thrilled about ditching my current memory in order to add more GB (I have not had my current memory all that long and it was not cheap) but I really do appreciate the information.

Archived