Corsair Community

Stability problems TWIN2X2048-6400 and Asus P5B

xtiger

I recently built my first computer with an Asus P5B and 2Gb of Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 and there were some stability problems with my system. The system randomly reboot. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and the memory (in dual channel set up) failed the ERAND test. Each individual module passed the test though. I also ran memtest but no errors were produced in the first 2 or 3 passes.

I contacted the corsair tech support, and I was advised to adjust the DDR voltage to 2.1v in BIOS (default setting is AUTO). However this made things worse. So I adjusted the voltage to 1.8v (the lowest setting in my BIOS). The system now seems stable. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic overnight and no error was produced. I am a novice in computers so here is something I don't quite understand. I thought that higher voltage would mean more stability, but apparently that's not the case? Can anyone explain to me?

Here is my system configuration:

Asus P5B

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400

eVGA GeForce 7600 GT KO

Antec Neo HE 430

Hi Ram Guy,

Thanks for the the prompt reply. Unfortunately I don't have access to another PSU or system to test the modules at the moment. Could you explain to me why it might be a power problem?

The modules failed the ERAND test in Windows Memory Diagnostic when the voltage was set to 1.9v, 2.0v or 2.1v. They passed the test only when the voltage was set to 1.8v. Should I worry about it much if the system is stable with this setting?

Tiger

• Corsair Employee
If changing the voltage will change the results of a memory test then its not the memory that’s generating the errors. If you have a failing module they will fail no matter what voltage or frequency or timings you have them set to and I would suggest http://www.memtest.org to test the system with it will be easier to determine what might be failing. Or I would suggest testing the modules in another system!

• 1 month later...

I have pretty much the same system including PSU and I get a reboot everytime i exit the bios.

After a few attempts the system restarts with the message overclocking failed. Do we need to upgrade the PSU to 550w or similar?

I am clueless with this stuff!

Ben

Thanks so far ram guy!

The psu is fine, got the system up and running eventually by only using one module of the 1Gb 6400 ram.

This had to go in the only dimm slot that seems to work on the board A2.

Does this mean that the board has to go back? Would you suggest swapping the board for a different model/manufacturer?

Many Thanks,

Ben

Archived