Corsair Community

M2N32-SLI Deluxe, Only 1 DIMM recognized

samurai1200

Ok so after figuring out that whole fiasco with upgrading the BIOS on this motherboard to get it to recognize this RAM, I encounter another problem:

I have the Twin2x-1024a-6400 Dimms (that is, 512mb x 2). I can't get my BIOS (or WinXP x64 pro) to detect both DIMMs in either Dual-Chan or Single-Chan modes (i.e. only 512mb shows no matter what). I have installed both DIMMs in every possible configuration in the 4 slots (including flip-flopping DIMMs to see if one of them was just bad).

I DO have my speed set to DDR2-800 manually, as well as 2.1v for them set manually. The timings are set automatically, but show up correctly. I have tried booting in slow boot (that is, not Quickboot) to try and get all of the memory recognize -- no deal. Still only shows 512mb no matter what I do.

p.s. The motherboard's manual DIRECTLY STATES that these DIMMs are tested and verified to work on the motherboard. I don't want to think they are bad DIMMs (as both of them actually work when alone), but I think there might be something i need to enable in the BIOS. I'm so lost...

Yes. I also tested each DIMM singly in each DIMM slot, and both only work when in the A1 (the default first) slot. I get the POST error code beeps (1 long, 2 short) when the DIMM is in slot B1, A2, or B2 alone. But, this seems normal? There's no reason for a single DIMM to be in any other slot besides the default first if it is alone.

samurai1200-

I have this mobo too: Asus M2N32-SLI deluxe (mine is wireless edition) and I can tell you that the beeps at startup are NOT normal. I have been having some issues with getting windows installed on this board, and have determined that it is related to my ram, but with the new sticks in (TWIN2x2048-6400C4) it boots fine, no beeps, and all the ram is recognized in BIOS. So it sounds to me like you have a bad mobo. I did get a set of beeps at one time with the 'bad' sticks of ram that I had, though I don't remember the pattern, and I solved it by disconnecting the power cord and letting it sit for some time. I would recommend, if you haven't tried it yet, to disconnect the power cord, wait the 6 seconds or so for the capacitors to drain off, and then go through the clear cmos routine in the manual. If that doesn't work, you may well be looking at a defective mobo.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Ok so I tried resetting the CMOS the way the manual says to do it (with both DIMMs in the positions they SHOULD be in) and boot to POST took an extra few seconds as expected. But once I entered the BIOS, I still only have "512mb installed" and "511mb available" memory. Dang.

So do I RMA the motherboard or the CPU?????

Bump...

I got an RMA on the CPU just now... I really hope the memory controller is/was the problem... otherwise they send it back to me and I'm still out of all that cost of shipping.

UPDATE:

I just went to a local electronics store and picked up the exact same processor. Gonna try it out to see if that's the real problem.

Knobbicus FTW!!! I tried another processor exactly the same as the other one i own (socket AM2 3800+), and I still had that memory problem -- leaving only ONE THING LEFT: the MOTHERBOARD!!!!.

Gettin' that crap RMA'd and returned ASAP! Luckily the Newegg return center is about 5 miles from where I work.

Archived