Corsair Community

Frustrated; Need a second RMA

I had some bad RAM about two months ago. Just got the RMA replacement a week ago. Tested in Memtest86+ 1.65 and one of the two dimms (TWINX) is bad. So I'm back where I started two months ago.

So do I just contact the warranty department again and hope that lady luck sends me some RAM that works? I assume Corsair for the most part sends out working RAM, so what are the odds of getting three bad ones in a row?

As for how sure I am that the RAM is bad. I'm quite sure, having already been through "the find out whats causing my computer to suddenly bluescreen and reboot" process once already. And since my computer was running great with just 2 gigs and suddenly started bluescreening constantly once I put in the 2 gigs of RMA'ed RAM. But even more so I had to prove to myself that I really did get bad RAM a second time I have been running many tests for days now.

I have 4 one gig dimms of CMX1024RE-3200. They came as 2 TWINX2048RE-3200. I ran a RAM test with Memtest86+ 1.65 with all 4 dimms. Got errors with a couple different tests. Mostly 5,6 and 8. So then I tested each stick one at a time. Only one dimm had errors. Then I tested with the various combinations of two dimms. The combinations that included the one dimm that tested as bad by itself also had errors.

Therefore I feel I can safely conclude that I just have bad luck and have been sent 1 Dimm of bad RAM twice. Because if there were a problem with the motherboard or a Dimm slot I should have received errors during the other tests. Right?

So at this point do I just call warranty for another RMA? Is it common to have this happen twice in a row?

Should I be looking even more carefully for something else wrong with my system? I know for sure at the very least that its RAM related because my computer runs solid with just the 2 gig sticks. When I put in the other two its very unstable and bluescreens 4 or 5 times a day.

Is there a way to speed the process up a little? Last one took a month to get back. Believe it or not I could use the full 4 gigs. I do 3D graphics and have projects that frequently require as much RAM as I can get.

• Corsair Employee
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Thanks for the reply RamGuy.

I've gone through my bios and set the timings to 3-3-3-8-1t which is the settings I found on your website for the RAM that I have. (I've actually already set the timings manually, so all my RAM tests were done at these timings.)

I'm looking all over in my bios (Asus K8N-DL motherboard) and I can't find any settings for the DDR voltage. I found a CPU1 DDR voltage setting and a CPU2 DDR voltage setting. But I only have two increments near 2.7x volts. That is 2.60 volts and 2.90 volts. Is this the right setting(s)? And what voltage should I go with? Right now its set to 2.60.

• Corsair Employee

No Please try exactly what I suggested and nowhere do we specify the command rate for this module.

Command Rate is not really a memory setting and would be dependant on the make and model of MB and PSU and the specific CPU you have installed. You might look this setting up on http://www.rojakpot.com and get a better explanation.

OK...sorry for the confusion. I got the DDR voltage set to 2.70 volts. And the timings are all set. I've been running additional tests with Memtest. I'm testing each of my 4 DIMMS one at a time.

I left the DIMM in question running for 7 passes, it came up with 683 errors during the 7 passes. It seems the increase in voltage (from 2.60 to 2.70) brought out more errors in the DIMM.

I tested the second DIMM in the TWINX Kit that was RMA'd for 23 passes and it was rock solid with no errors.

I'm testing the original 2 Dimms that I've had no problems with again as well with the higher voltage. So far no errors.

As far as the command rate goes. I looked into it and I understand what it is a little better. Attached is a screenshot of where on your site I saw the 1t setting in association with my mb and ram.

CommandTimings.thumb.jpg.b0f746c793a40421a33c524d5f720919.jpg

• Corsair Employee

Please either call our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0"

Our Customer Service hours are from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM Pacific Time Monday thru Friday excluding holidays.

And let them know you just got these from RMA we will pay the shipping both ways.

Archived