Corsair Community

Bad RAM again

Oromet

I have a set of Twinx XL 2-2-2-5 1gb (2x512) ram modules. I have RMA'd them once a long time ago because I was plagued with issues with system crashes. I have run Memtest and it fails on test 5 all over the place at any setting, let alone the rated 2-2-2-5 speeds. I have tried up to 2.9v as well to no avail.

I am currently running a set of RAM modules my friend has that are Twinx XL 2-2-2-6 modules and they pass test 5 flawlessly. So I think it is definately the RAM I have that is bad. Is there any way I could get these modules RMA'd please?

I'm running:

AMD 64 3700 Venice

DFI Lan Party UT NForce4 Ultra-D

Antec Neopower 480w PSU

Sapphire X1800XT 512mb

Thanks!

As a base test, I have left everything as "AUTO". With my RAM I fail test 5 and my system has been having lots of stability issues. With my friends RAM, also AUTO, passes test 5 just fine, my system and games run perfectly fine.

It sure seems like I got another set of bad ram. I am an unlucky chap when it comes to these things just so you know :)

Just some additional details...I did try manual settings on my 2-2-2-5 ram as well to see if I could gimp it enough to even pass test 5. I went so far as 3-3-3-6 2t timings and it still failed. The game I currently play is World of Warcraft and that game is pretty sensitive to tight memory timings if your ram is faulty even in the slightest which is what prompted me to check it again via memtest. Even trying to play WoW at 3-3-3-6 2t timings the game crashed.

However for right now (so I can play WoW with out crashing all the time) I borrowed my friends ram which is 2-2-2-6 1t RAM and it runs perfectly fine in WoW and passes test 5.

• Corsair Employee

We can try changing the modules, but if they work in another MB its probably the MB and or Bios.

Please make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your MB (download the Beta version) and load optimized defaults settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX512 or Twinx1024-3200Xl

Genie BIOS/DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set: 2:1 or 400MHz or 200 (if option are 133/166/200)

Command per Clock: Enabled

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

And leave the rest at AUTO setting

Genie BIOS

FSB BUS Frequency: 200

LDT/FSB Frequency ratio: 5X

LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16 16

CPU/FSB Frequency ratio: Auto

PCI Ex: 100

K8 cool N’ quiet: Disable

CPU VID Start Up Value: 1.55 (Depends On CPU Core)

CPU VID Control: 1.55 (Depends On CPU Core)

CPU VID Special Control: Auto

Chipset Voltage Control: 1.6

DRAM Voltage Control: 2.8

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

I have swapped out everything in my PC over the months in trying to fix this though.

I used to have a AMD 3500 Winchester, but being I read their onboard memory controller was found to be flakey, I got a Venice. Still happens have issues with the 2-2-2-5 RAM.

I also used to run a ASUS A8N SLI-Deluxe MB. Same issues on that board.

The only thing that has fixed my issue is my friends second set of 2-2-2-6 Corsair RAM. My PC runs absolutely flawlessly and memtest 5 passes through multiple loops with his RAM. Although I think his RAM sticks we're forged by the gods because he has Future Mark benchmarks of him running at 2-2-2-4 1t timings stable. Obviously he wants his RAM back because the pair is a perfect match.

My ram however isn't stable at all anymore.

I'll give what you said a try tonight and report back.

Same deal RAMGUY. I loaded all the settings you mentioned above and let memtest loop for about an hour. Test 5 hates my RAM.

If I could, can we just do an RMA. I mean given that I've swapped out the MB, CPU and it still happens...and given that my friends ram runs perfectly fine, I don't see any other option here for what else it could be.

• 3 weeks later...

The new memory arrived and I set my system up per your BIOS settings and everything, so far, seems good to go! I've run memtest at the 2-2-2-5 settings through 4 loops now and so far so good.

Thanks a lot RAMGUY, you rock!

Archived