Corsair Community

Bad Memory Modules

Hi,

I came into work today to find that one of our servers was restarting constantly. I ran mem test to determine the cause of the errors and it appears that memtest produces many errors for my modules. The current system has 8 sticks of the Corsair TWINX2048RE-3200 2GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 ECC Registered Memory w/Black Heat Spreader from zip zoom fly.com.

They are installed in the following system.

Motherboard: Tyan S2895 K8WE

Memory:8x Corsair TWINX2048RE-3200 2GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 ECC Reg

Processor: 2x Dual Core Opteron 180

Power Supply: 680W Enermax Liberty PSU

Hard Drive: 4x WD 150GB Raptor SATA

Video: 2x EVGA 7900 GT CO Superclock

DVD: Plextor SATA DVD Burner

Due to the extreme nature of the components I have installed a custom cooling system.

Case: Lian Li

CPU Cooling: 2x Danger Den RBX Water Blocks

Memory cooling: 4x Koolance Memory Coolers

Link for Memory cooler: http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=251

Video Cooling Solution: 2x SLI DangerDen 7800 Block

3 Chipsets cooled by 2 Dangerden blocks and 1 koolance block.

High flow pump and 3 120mm fan radiator.

The temps of the system measure around 24-29 degress celcius and under load reach 35.

The bios on the motherboard is the latest version and I have3 of the harddrives setup in a stripe. I've yet to test the memory individually but everything worked fine up till 8PM last night (according to my logs)

There are alot of bios options about ecc that I don't understand and most of which are disabled. What can I do to troubleshoot this and am I still under warranty?

One other item to note is that this system was just built 3 weeks ago.

Initial testing of each ram module revealed only one of the eight modules that did not pass a quick (let it run for 8 minutes) memtest. I'm running a test on 4 of the modules overnight to ensure proper operation. The remaining three will be tested throughout the day.

I've taken care to keep the Matched sets together as I'm aware that in order to return them we need to send back the set.

One of the 8 modules failed miserably. I've been running the system with only 4 of the 8 modules now with great success. I only put 4 in because I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to give 1 processor more memory than another so I decided to keep it even till i get the new pair.

When I ran mem test it said ecc was not on. I went into the bios and ecc was enabled but there were some options under it that were not enabled by default. Do you have any advice on what memory timings i should use with the Tyan S2985 Motherboard?

Thanks,

Jake

Archived