Corsair Community

Twinx 1024 3200LLPT.....P4C800E-del....AGAIN!

Jim Baldwin

Here we go again. RAM GUY, I had followed your suggestions to get rid of memory errors from MEMTEST when running the sticks in dual channel configuration......believe you had suggested upgrading the BIOS, set the RAM voltage to 2.75 and disable USB legacy......and well it worked....for a while...THANKS. Now after flashing the BIOS again (long story) and using your suggestions, I'm getting the memory errors again .......in dual channel. Any more suggestions? ...and now here is a question that will get some laughs I'm sure...... I have seen some recommended latency settings for people having problems but how do I change them ????? I heard one guy talking about poor ASUS support and I have to concur........it's like they can't understand English !!!!!! Jim

• Corsair Employee
If the system was working but stopped after you flashed it. I would flash it back the original bios and test again. But that might suggest a bad bios flash. Also to flash the latest bios as I remember you have to use a DOS boot disk and use the latest version of AFUDOS to flash the bios. Any other way may corrupt the bios.

if I remember right, the memory errors started to show up before the last flash...yes, I remember now that errors started to occur again with MEMTEST but not with the MICROSOFT version that I also have on floppy...go figure! Part of the reason I flashed the BIOS for a second time is because it was not until after I has used the ASUS update utility to flash the BIOS the first time, that I realized they also recommend updating the utility it to the current version before using it. Their info on the new BIOS actually reads : Do not use old version Afudos.exe to flash BIOS.Must use new Afudos.exe which is included in zip file to flash BIOS. Using ASUSLiveUpdate to flash BIOS,you need to upgrade ASUSLiveupdate before flash BIOS. Please do not use Ezflash for updating this BIOS. ........and I hadn't read this until I had done the first flash. So, the current BIOS is definitely the latest and was flashed correctly....according to these instructions but I'm still getting the memory errors. Just to confirm your suggestions RAM GUY.....they were the BIOS of course, setting the RAM voltage to 2.75, disabling USB legacy for the test......and anything else? This is so frustrating!!!!!!!!

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry you're having trouble with our memory, let's try replacing your modules, please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Rma@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the RMA please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it.

While I appreciate your offer and will consider it, I can't help but believe it's not the memory otherwise I would expect errors when they were in the "NON" dual channel DIMM slots. Back to a question I posed earlier, can the latency settings actually be changed in the BIOS? Thanks for all your help Jim

• Corsair Employee
I would try and set the timings manually to Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3" and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts. Then please disable USB legacy support and test with [url]www.memtest86.com.[/url] If you get errors please test them one module at a time, and if you get errors with both modules I would suspect the bios flash was not properly completed

• Corsair Employee
It does not! It affects the program (Memtest86 Ver 3.0) in that with this setting enabled it will shadow some of the bios information to high memory that memtest will see as an error when it is in fact just data. It's just a bug in the software.

I don't believe it but I did go in and change the RAM settings to 2,3,2,6. They were set to 2.5,4,4,8. I'm sure I noticed an immediate performance increase and saints be praised....no more mem errors....not even in dual channel config. What can I say but thanks RAM GUY!!! I did notice on a web page today that a report from April said that Corsair was not recommending their XMS LL RAM with the 875 chipset. I've also noticed this from their RAM charts. Is there any word on Corsair now recommending the LL RAM for this? For anyone reading this, I personally would probably recommend staying away from the LL RAM at least until Corsair recommends it for the 875 chipset. They obviously had a reason not to recommend it and I think I may now understand why!

Hi Jim, LL series is ok for oc. All u need is to set performance mode from "auto" to "standard". Below is my PC. My specs: Asus P4C800 Deluxe Bios 1014 iP4 2.8c SL6Z5 0108@FSB 250 1,675v stock fan FSB/DDR : 5/4 Corsair TwinX1024 3200LLPRO CAS 2-3-2-6@2,55v 1x ST3120026AS 2x ST3120026AS Raid2+0 Stripe Elsa Falcox 960XT DVI (573/700) Asus 52x cdr Asus 32x12x40 cdrw Thermaltake 480w PFC AGP Aperture Size: 8M Legacy USB: disable

thanks ferry_g but I wasn't really trying to OC just trying to get rid of memory errors. I suspect Corsair knew that the LL memory did not work perfectly with my motherboard without some tweaking which is perhaps why they didn't/don't recommend it....yet. Jim

Jim How right you are! On the p4c800e, the 3200llpt is not plugNplay. Much tweaking is required. Ask Asus, that memory is NOT on their recommended list. I'm happy to see you were able to sort out the settings. Corsair assembles nice modules. They will make overclockers of all the occasional system builders. If you have the time for that nonsense! Good Luck

• Corsair Employee
Well I would disagree with you both as we use that MB or A7N8X to validate the modules. And all of the testing and settings as well as the MB's we use is provided under [URL=http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8048]XMS Qualification and Testing [/URL] f every XMS module we make. You might want to take look there.

Archived