My specs for my pc

1800 AMD Athlon CPU

A 512 MB Cosair Dual Sided PC2700 333 Mhz

A 256 MB Kingston Single Sided PC2700 333 Mhz

A Western Digital 300 GB Harddrive

A Western Digital 80 GB Harddrive

Soyo KT-400 Motherboard

32 MB ATI Video Card

I have done no modifications for my PC, EX: overclocking.

A couple of days ago my pc was going incredible slow. The program I used, DEF Ram XTrem 2.6, from pcworld.com, stated I was low on resources. I right clicked on "My Computer" then to properties and it stated I had only 256 MB. I remember I had the same problem before, so I decided to reboot it. A few boots later it showed to my full 768 MB of Ram. So I thought it was fine

But currently I am still running at 256 MB of Ram.

So I decided to test it out. I turned off my pc and loaded only the 512 MB of Corsair Ram in the #1 slot (the slot closest to the cpu). My pc did not boot up. I did the same process but for the #2 slot. Same outcome. And repeated for the #3 slot. Same outcome.

Then I tested out my 256 MB of Ram by Kingston in the #1 slot. Works, and to be consistent, I tested out each other slots and each one worked as well.

I bought the Cosair 512 MB PC2700 of Ram at Fry's Electronics. I was building a new pc because my old 200 Mhz pc was simply out dated for college. I bought the Cosair 512 MB PC2700 in the fall of 2002. No problems till a couple of days ago.

I also went to Fry's Electronic today and ask them about my Bad Memory. They said if you bought that long ago (Fall 2002) keeped the receipt, and bought a warranty from them (Fry's Electronic) then there is nothing they can do. They suggested since Cosair has a lifetime warranty, I should contact you guys. (I was at Fry's because of harddrives were on sale if you must know)

I use my pc only for surfing the net, doing excel homework, typing up essays, and downloding music files (do not tell the RAA). As you can see my crappy video card, I do not play high maintence video cards. My pc is for school and home use. I do not overclock pc because simple A) I do not know what to do, and B) the risk involved scare me.

If there is any more information you need, please private message me, or email me, or even Instant Message me if you have AIM. If you have any suggest like runnging another program to test the Ram let me know.

• Corsair Employee
In would not suggest mixing memory, please test the system with just our modules installed and load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Archived