Corsair Community

My TWINX2048-3200c2pt seem to be bad..

RogerWilco

I bought a set of the 1024 sticks (TWINX2048-3200c2pt) for a total of 2GBs for my new HTPC system. After doing some inital tests/configuration/etc. The system seemed a little unstable to me so I ran memtest, which is integrated into the mobo (very cool) and got this:

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7273/badmem17mq.jpg

Doh! This is before I have even done an ounce of tweaking. No overclocking or anything at this point. The ram settings are even below optimal (2T,3,3,3,8).

Okay, so I took out one of the stick and ran memtest again through the 7-8th test and no problems. I figure the stick I took out was the culprit. I'll have to RMA it.

I continue to mess with my system for a while and get everything situated. Afterward I decide to bump up the memory timings (1T,2,3,3,6) and run SuperPi 8M... no dice. I get errors. I go into the BIOS and bump up the voltage to 2.7.. nope. 2.8.. nope. I switch back to 2.7 and change the timings to 1T, 2.5,3,3,8...no joy. 1T,3,3,3,8...nada. I'm getting a little concerned so I switch back to defaults at 2.6V and I still get errors. Then defaults at 2.7V...errors. Now I'm thinking that the other stick has gone bad. I go back to 2.6V and I run memtest and get this:

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/515/badmem21lq.jpg

Crap!!

Now I go into the BIOS again and plan on bumping to 2.7V and running memtest again (keep in mind everything else is stock config. I even reset the BIOS defaults). I switch the voltage to 2.7, leaving everything else as is (2T,3,3,3,8), hit F10 to save and exit and boom the computer shuts off. I have to complete disconnect power for it to boot properly again. I try the same thing again and pow.. shutdown. I unplug again then re-plug and go back to the Bios. I make sure the voltage is back to 2.6 and save .. no crash this time. I go back into the Bios and switch to 2.7 and it bombs again.

Anyway, to make a long story short (too late I know) I think I have some bad ram.. :)

Any thoughts?

**EDIT**

I just realized I ride my bike right past Corsair's office on Grimmer everyday on my way to/from work. Can I just drop the memory off get a replacement? :)

Hi RamGuy,

Thanks for the quick response.

Unfortunately I don't have another system that will accept these modules under the same conditions. I have a Athlon XP 2500+ system But I won't be able to run the Ram at the same settings, unless you don't think that will matter.

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
Even at DDR333 if the memory is causing that problem, you will see problems on any system. If you can I would just set the memory frequency at 100% and test the modules one at a time on your other system to be sure. But if you will plan to get a new MB that might now be bad idea, just what ever MB you get you should get the latest beta bios to have proper support for the CPU you have.

Archived