Corsair Community

ASUS P5P800 and TWIN2048-C2PT CAS 2?

Ken429

Per the Ram Guy's suggestion from a couple weeks ago - Just installed the memory and let the system boot with all the BIOS settings on auto. System booted and WIN XP ran OK. Changed the voltage to 2.75. System booted and WIN XP ran OK. Changed the DRAM Timing by SPD from ENABLED to DISABLED, changed DRAM CAS# Latency from 2.5 to 2, changed DRAM RAS# Precharge from 4 to 3, changed DRAM RAS# Delay from 4 to 3, changed the DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge Delay from 8 to 6 and left the DRAM Burst Length set to 8. System booted and WIN XP promptly hung!! What did I do wrong? Need a little help.

• Corsair Employee
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have (Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3"), and then test the module/modules one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Just to make sure we are on the same page. You want me to set the BIOS to:

DRAM CAS# Latency - Set to 2

DRAM RAS# Precharge - Set to 3

DRAM RAS# to CAS# - Set to 3

DRAM RAS# Activate to PreCcharge Delay - Set to 6

DRAM burst Length - Leave at 8

What did you mean by the specific settings for this module (Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Ras to CAS set to 3)? When I look at the Auto and SPD settings it looks like 2.5v 3-3-3-6 using PC Wizard. The system seems to be stable with the Auto settings. Help me out here I'm not an overclocker - just want a stable reasonably fast system.

I have MemTest86 Version 3.2 on a bootable CD. Is that Ok to test or do I need to use the one you suggested MemTest86+ Version 1.65?

Confused. Ran several passes of MemTest86+ on each module and it found no errors. Ran several passes of MemTest86+ on both modules installed in dual channel mode and it found no errors. Loaded Win XP and it is running with no apparent problems - at least it hasn't hung in the last hour. Any idea on what went wrong initially? Did the memory just need to be exercised after the long trip in the Fedx truck?!

Archived