Corsair Community

VS512MB400C3 & A8N Sli Deluxe Help

twoodster

Hi

I'm running 4 sticks of VS512MB400C3 in an Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe. My processor is an AMD 3500XP. Problem is, I cant seem to run the ram at anything more than 200mhz - is it not possible? I seem to get random blue screens etc when trying anything higher. I play a lot of games, and the performance at the moment isn't great - runs great when switching to 400mhz :( Thanks in advance

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set? As well as the complete system configuration including the make and model of your PSU?

Cpu Core Speed is 2211.3mhz

Memory Settings:

CAS#Latency 2.5

RAS# to CAS# Delay 3

RAS# Precharge 3

Cycle Time (Tras) 7

Bank Cycle Time (trc) 10

I've tried multiple recommended configurations for the above though, and it doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference in regard to the blue screens. All the other settings (including CPU) are running at default. The PSU is a HEC-550TD-PTE 550W. Where abouts do I find the FSB?

Hi

I'm running 4 sticks of VS512MB400C3 in an Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe. My processor is an AMD 3500XP. Problem is, I cant seem to run the ram at anything more than 200mhz - is it not possible? I seem to get random blue screens etc when trying anything higher. I play a lot of games, and the performance at the moment isn't great - runs great when switching to 400mhz :( Thanks in advance

Actually, you have an Athlon 64 3500+ processor - there is no 3500XP processor in existence.

Second, you cannot run any memory above 200MHz (DDR400) on any Athlon 64 motherboard without overclocking your CPU's HTT clockspeed.

Third, you have all four memory slots filled with double-sided (double-rank) DIMM's. That will seriously limit your overclocking performance, and may also drop your memory speed below your processor's HTT clockspeed. As such, you may be running your memory at DDR400 - but (obviously) you had to use a 2T command rate setting just to run stably. There is simply excessive loading on your CPU's memory controller when you run four double-sided sticks of memory.

Your best bet, in this case, is to replace all four of your 512MB sticks with two 1GB sticks. (In other words, get a VS2GBKIT400C3 kit - or better yet, a TWINX2048-3200C2 kit - and find other uses for your four existing 512MB sticks.)

Ah right, thanks. Can't really afford to replace what I have right now though. What would you suggest as the optimal settings for my current setup? Also, I have a stick of Hynix 512 DDR 400 CL3. Am I likely to get better performance using that with a stick or two of the Corsair instead?

Well, each stick of ram tests out fine - and it still blue screens using default bios settings. Only way to stop the crashing is setting the ram to 200mhz manually, but that causes crappy performance in games. Guess I'm just going to have to replace it :[pouts:

The Stop Code seems to be different each time. Here's a couple of examples though:

STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00010000, 0x0000001C, 0x00000001, 0x80502000)

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xAB1D61FA, 0x00000001, 0x8054AAZE, 0x00000000)

I've not installed the AMD Cpu driver - the only thing I've attempted is to upgrade the bios, and that didn't make any difference. Thanks

Well, I formatted my computer yesterday to see if it would sort the problem at all. Lasted 24hours, then I switched it on this morning and the computer wouldn't boot. Back to 200mhz in the bios and it's working ok again. So, it's definately looking like I need some more ram! Any suggestions?

I've tried every setting under the sun!! The only way to get the four sticks stable is to set the speed to 200mhz, and then games etc run really slow. Would you recommend something like this?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=16486467933&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=66393

I need the best performance possible really. Thanks

Archived