Corsair Community

2x VS512MB400 probs

Hi, i have some problems with my system. I have got two VS512MB400 CL2,5 sticks (single channel) at a ASUS K8N4-E nForce4 4x mobo. I configured them at 2,5-3-3-8 2T, 2,6v, i tried 2,7 and 2,75 too, but it didn't fixed it. In test5 of the newest version of memtest i get 60000+ errors per run of it:eek: ! And I'm not able to get Windows XP installed, always a blue screen with "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT". And while installing some messages about "The file isn't copied well press ENTER to try again".

So what i tried... I tried a lot combo's of placing the sticks in my slots, 1 and 2 , 1 and 3, 2 and 3, and plugged them in on their own. Only what helped was 1 memory stick in slot 3... without errors. Then i tried the memory stick of my lil bro (same one). And it was getting errors too. So I read about it could be my CPU cache, i cant disabled it in my BIOS, so I plugged in the CPU of my bro (same socket), still errors. It gives an error on every field 0,1MB - 1024MB at 95% of test 5. Very weird. Then I tried to switch motherboard by my reseller (Gigabyte K8N4 nForce4 4x), i thought my slots were defective ( it was only 2 days old) . And yea, again errors and errors. What i noticed was if i plug in only 1 memory module in slot 3, its working fine, for so far i tested it. And if i clock my memory back to 166mhz (with 2 modules) it works fine too.

My PSU, is a Tagan 480W, 12V line is 11,97 - 12,03 , very stable.

I never had such a weird problem in my whole life.

Maybee you know whats going on here? Compatibility problems with nForce4??

Full system specs:

Athlon 64 3200+ Newcastle S754

2x Corsair VS512MB400

Gigabyte K8N4 nForce4 4x

250gb maxtor hard disk 16mb cache 7200rpm

msi 7800gt pci-e

Thanks a lot for reading this.

• Corsair Employee
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

• 3 months later...

I encountered similar problem as well, K8N4-E plus 1 stick VS512MB400.

I tried setup from scratch fresh installing Win XP but failed always, installation hang at half way. The system failed to log in Windows even when I tried with another good HDD installed with Win2K on exactly same motherboard. I purchased 70 pcs of these system, but seem can't get it run. :(:

So, I would like to know how the compatibility of this system and setting of RAM cass latency.

System

-------

M/B: Asus K8N4-E

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ socket 754

RAM: 1 stick VS512MB400

• Corsair Employee
As posted previously please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org after you Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then leave the timings set to "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived