Corsair Community

Memory Problems...HELP!!

jmiah22

Ok, here is my problem. I have a emachines T5026 computer and I just bought 1 GB more memory to put in. I read the motherboard manual and all and it tells me what is compatible. First off, I ordered through another company and their RAM would NOT work in my computer, the computer would not boot up. So I ordered 1 GB from Corsair...the computer boots up, it lets me into the BIOS, it detects the memory and all correctly, but it will not boot into windows. It goes to the screen where the logo is and the blue bar going back and forth, then it brings up the screen (looks like the default XP background except it says Emachines across the field) and it stops there. If I let it sit there long enough, my computer goes into a funk. The monitor goes off but the computer is still running. The mother board manual tells me this computer will use either PC2700 or PC3200 memory. It must be 2.6 volt, unbuffered memory. So WHY doesn't this work??? I see no reason why this memory is not compatible. I even used the Corsair memory configurator and ti tells me this memory is compatible. I am becoming VERY irate with emachines and I REFUSE to pay them $167 for 1 GB of memory! That is REDICULOUS!!! Can anybody help me? Another thing this will do with the new memory in, I can be in BIOS and all of the sudden the screen goes goofy with lines and speckles all over the place. I am not a newbie at this sort of thing, but this sure has me stumped! I have NEVER had any problems such as this with getting memory to work.

I believe the accepted memory by your board is actually PC2100/2700. The reason is because you have a P4 519J Processor. That means you have a FSB of 533 on your processor.

Try loading only the new memory in your computer. They are probably both working ram sticks just that they do not work well together. While that is not always the case with all boards or ram, it does happen. I see a few instances on this forum.

$167 is a lot to pay for ram. What ram corsair module did you end up buying? (VS, SS, XMS, etc. I'm just curious)

Ok, here is where confusing sets in, and it's making my brain hurt! :bigeyes: I think somebody is misleading somewhere along the line. If you look at the specs of my computer (Emachine T5026) it says it has 512 MB PC3200 RAM. The BIOS says it is PC3200 RAM running at 400 MHZ. What gives? The current memory that came installed in the computer even says PC3200U and it is Samsung brand. Now, why wouldn't PC3200 work in this system? Here is something else weird. If I use the Corsair memory configurator and put my model number in T5026 it says PC2700 is compatible. But if I put in my motherboard model number (D915GAG) it says PC3200. So which do I go by? I know this motherboard will take a memory upgrade, as I took the PC2700 out of another computer and installed it along side the PC3200 that came in the machine and it works perfectly. Unfortunately I guess I have to eat this Corsair memory as the place I bought it through (newegg.com) wants to charge me a 15% restocking fee if I return it. :mad: Oh, the Corsair memory I bought is Value Select and the kit number is VS512MB400. MY FSB is indeed 533 MHz. I cannot change but the most basic things in my BIOS, as I guess eMachines take their users for fools (Maybe I am the biggest) so you can change very few things, such as the time and date, onboard audio, USB settings, port settings, etc. You cannot change ANYTHING to do with the memory or CPU. I am guesing that this motherboard, althought it is Intel D915GAG is OEM and built specifically for eMachines and that the BIOS is OEM as well. I did try just loading the new Corsair into the system and the computer will not boot up at all...the computer runs but the monitor does not receive a signal. My motherboard just does not like this flavor of RAM I gues. I am kind of hesitant to order more memory, maybe somebody here can reassure me that PC2700 would DEFINITELY be compatible? Thanks for all your help!

First, no part is 100% guarenteed to work with any board in my opinion. You get like 99.9% max. There is always a small what if factor. Ok, so I'm being a bit over the top.

About the ram frequency, here's the deal. You have a real Front Side Bus of about 133MHz. Intel uses a 4X Front side bus multiplier (since intel chips send 4 instructions per cycle) so therefore a true front side bus of 133MHz would essentially behave like 533MHz(which is why the label it that way). DDR (Double Data Rate) is 2X multiplier of your true front side bus. 133MHz x 2 = 266MHz DDR.

Memory is backwards compatible but it's not recommended to jump too much. For example, I would recommend PC2100 but would PC2700 work? I don't know why it wouldn't. Could PC3200 work? Of course it can. Just depends on what kind of materials were used.

Personally I have used PC3200 memory on a machine that should be on PC1600. It posts just fine. Have I done something like use PC2700 on a machine that should use PC2100 and not get post? Sure.

You are doing a good thing by checking before you rebuy. It's better to be well informed about big purchases.

I did a live chat tonight with eMachines tech support and they were as mystified as I am about this whole thing. The only thing he could tell me is it must not be compatible somehow. He did give me two links to memory that they recommend and can guarantee will work, and they will also support.

Here are the links

http://accessories.gateway.com/AccessoryStore/PC+Accessories_316441/Memory_316624/Industry+Standard+Memory_316628/Industry+Standard+DDR_372912/12542500_ProdDetail

and the second is:

http://accessories.gateway.com/AccessoryStore/PC+Accessories_316441/Memory_316624/Industry+Standard+Memory_316628/Industry+Standard+DDR_372912/12250132_ProdDetail

It looks to me like it isn't a whole lot different from what I purchased, but if they can guarantee that it will work...Whatever. I cannot order the 1 GB upgrade as it is currently out of stock.

Archived