Corsair Community

ValueSelect on a Dell Dimension?

ggWes

The system currently has one 256 MB DDR SDRAM ram. I didn't know about the configure web page until it was too late. This ram doesn't show up on that page for Dell Dimensions.

I bought a one gig stick of Value Select DDR SDRAM. When I install it and turn the system on, the system beeps and the monitor won't turn on. When I take it back out, everything works fine. Theres no way for me to get this ram to work with my system?

Thanks for the quick reply

I tried that before and it didn't work. I'll try it again just in case. I would really like this ram to work so I can avoid the 15% re-stocking fee @ newegg along with paying for more expensive ram. It doesn't look good.

Edit: I tried it again by itself and it still didn't want to work. It must be Dell's special motherboard that will only take corsairs "System Select" ram.

That really sucks. Thats why I tried to look up ram before I bought mine too. I don't like restock fees. That and I would have to pay return shipping as well if I bought online. It probably wouldn't do anything but I would try each of the slots with just the 1GB stick.

What processor are you using if I might ask? I say that because it could just be that the ram speed is wrong. With value select you should try to match it with your true FSB or double your true FSB essentially since its DDR.

Wow, are you sure your dell has a P4 with 800MHz FSB? From the Dells I've come across, most have a lower FSB. Then again yours could be a lot newer and a lot more expensive. In any event, try to make sure before you get your next stick of ram.

Thanks, I downloaded CPUZ.

Mystery, you were right. FSB was 133 MHz and bus speed was 532 MHz. It is a P4 2.8 GHz.

I just ordered a one gig stick of System Select ram that Corsair's web site recommended.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks, I downloaded CPUZ.

Mystery, you were right. FSB was 133 MHz and bus speed was 532 MHz. It is a P4 2.8 GHz.

I just ordered a one gig stick of System Select ram that Corsair's web site recommended.

Thanks for all your help.

In this case, you will need to buy the DDR333/PC2700 version of that memory. Many DDR400/PC3200 modules have SPD's which know only DDR400 operation, and therefore have no programming for lower speeds. The limitation of all of Intel's DDR (as opposed to DDR2) chipsets restrict asynchronous operation to +/-33.3MHz (+/-PCICLK) of the processor's actual FSB clockspeed. And since your Dell is an OEM system, it must adhere strictly to the Intel specs - and in addition, lacks any provision at all whatsoever to manually override the memory speed settings.

If you got the DDR400/PC3200 version of the memory, you may end up with the BIOS always setting the memory speed to 200MHz/DDR400 no matter what, which will result in a 66.7MHz differential between the actual FSB clockspeed and the actual memory clockspeed (and thus unsupported by Intel). OEM systems with such a memory clockspeed differential on such a chipset will either halt with an error message during bootup or not even POST at all.

RJLeong65, My system came stock with DDR400 ram. Why would they ship ram that wouldn't be fit for the system?

Do you think I'd have a problem with a stick of 1 GB DDR400 SDRAM Corsair System Select? I already ordered again from newegg. ( shoot me now ) They have great service but their 15% restocking fee sucks. ( especially if you are looking for a quick swap )

I guess I'll wait for DDR 400 system select to come in. Newegg doesn't carry the 333 Mhz System select anyways.

I looked on Dell's website and found a memory finder there. This is what they recommended:

DELL - 1 GB Module for a Dell Dimension 3000 System

1 GB DDR SDRAM, PC3200 / 400 MHz, Non-Parity, Unbuffered

Will do. Ramguy told another person that had a dell that "CMSS parts are guaranteed to be compatible."

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48144

I just want something that works but if it doesn't, I guess I'll get my money back and buy the expensive dell ram. ( But I'll never buy another Dell system since the upgrading is a nightmare. )

I just got in the SS and that doesn't work either. That just gives beeping noises like the last one. I now have two chips that don't work with my system and am not very happy with Corsairs system select for "dells" or Dell's upgradeability or lack there of. :(:

Thanks,

I called Corsair and they gave me another ram to buy that has DDR 333. I ran a different ram config program and found that my current ram is running at 333 (even though it is labeled a 400 which is what messed this all up). So this sounds like it will work and newegg helped out by not charging the restocking fee for the other two sticks. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Just got the ram in today. I loaded it in and had some problems but everything is working good now.

Note to anyone installing ram in a Dell that is the right ram but you still get two beeps on startup and a blank screen on your display: Hit F1 for CMOS to install your new ram and your system will continue booting after that along with your display turning on.

Thanks to everyone for their help in here. :)

Archived