Corsair Community

Value Select vs. (CMSSxxx) Memory for Dell Optiplex GX240

KenB

Have a DELL Optiplex GX240. Looking for (2) 512mb sticks. Ran the Corsair configurator, and it came back with p/n: CMSS512MB-133.

However, was told by a memory distributor that the Corsair Value Select, p/n VS512MB-133 will work just as well. The VS series does not show up on the configurator for the DELL system. However, specs look similar.

Can I use the Value Select series memory in the DELL? Would prefer to use the VS memory, if possible.

Will there be any real performance differences between the VS- and the CMSS- memory?

** Is the VS512MB-133 definitely compatible with the DELL Optiplex GX240?

What is the difference between the std. CMSS- and the VS-series memory?

Thanks!

I would go with what Corsair recommends. I had the same issue as you and bought the Value Select for my Dell Dimension. It won't work so now I'll have to pay even more by returning and buying the right ram. I didn't know that even if you matched up the right kind of ram, it could still not work.

VS ram is a little worse but it's cheaper. Most places carry VS ram though. Your best bet is that if you want to try VS Ram, get it from a local store that does not charge a restock fee. Then get ram that is optimal settings for your FSB. For example if you have an Intel board that says it can use DDR400 but your Intel CPU FSB is 400Mhz, you want to stick with the DDR266 probably.

• Corsair Employee

Please look up your system on our memory configurator.

Our Value Select and System Select modules are functionally the same. CMSS parts are built with a restricted bill of materials deemed to provide the best compatibility with OEM systems. As such, we often do not have the capability to use low cost material.

CMSS parts are guaranteed to be compatible. If there is a problem, we will work with you to fix it, or give you your money back if we can not. VS parts are guaranteed (with a lifetime warranty) to be good parts, but we do not guarantee compatibility with any particular systems. If a VS part does not work, it gets tested and either repaired or (usually) replaced with another VS part.

I expect that the VS part will work correctly in your system. And, of course, Corsair's lifetime warranty is in full effect if it does not. Our confidence of first pass success is highest, however, with CMSS parts.

Archived