Corsair Community

Installation prob, but modules seem fine...

ChrisMcC

Hey, I have two 256MB Corsair modules (CMX256A-3200C2) installed, and I'm trying to updgrade by adding a 512MB module (CMX512-3200C2). My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP. The Corsair page says the memory is compatible.

When I try adding the 512 module, my computer fails to boot. No errors or anything, just gets stuck on the first boot screen.

Here's the thing, though--Individually, all three of these modules work fine. I can run with the 512MB module by itself, or with the 256MB modules individually or as a pair. As soon as I try and mix the 512 with one of the 256 modules, though, it fails.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris

• Corsair Employee
Being that the motherboard does not support dual channel architecture, the modules should be compatible when combined. Most motherboards have limitations and certain requirements when populating more than two dimms. I suggest contacting Gigabyte TS on this matter. Sometimes they mention this issue in the manual with tiny lettering.

I e-mailed tech support at Gigabyte and got this reply:

---------------------------------------

Are any of those sticks ecc or register memory?

This motherboard supports non ecc un-buffered memory which also cannot be high density.

The below links are a list of already tested and valdiated memory for this board.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=13140&mfr=Gigabyte&model=GA&Sys=13140-Gigabyte-GA-7VAXP%2FGA-7VAXP+Ultra+Motherboards&distributor=0&submit1=Search

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Giga-Byte%2B+Motherboards&mfr=Giga-Byte&tabid=AM&model=GA-7VAXP&submit=Go

----------------------------------------

Do you happen to know the answer to those questions?

If that's not it, there's probably just something wrong with my motherboard.

Thanks!

Chris

Put the 512 Dimm in the first slot, see what timings are set in the bios, if possible raise the ram voltage to 2.7 and set the command rate to 2T, memtest it, add a 256 ram stick memtest again and so on. I beleive the timings could interfere.

Also did you do a bios update to the latest version ? My friends KT400 board (DFI AD77) had probs with more than 512 of ram, a bios update fixed that

Just put in the 512 mate (and only the 512 mb Dimm) and see if the rig will boot, if it does memtest the ram and wirte down the memory timings, normally the autodetected timings should be fine as the memory is foreseen to run at 200mhz and it's only running at 133mhz (CPU/mobo limitation).

Once it booted and survived the memtest power down , unplug the power cable and put in a 256 dimm, try to boot again and continue testing. It could work but adding mixed versions of ram it is required you set the bios the the timings of the slowest ram dimm. eg 3-3-3-8 should work and make sure the command rate is set at 2T !!

Thanks for the help guys, I've been busy and haven't had time to look at it till today.

It looks like it's working now. I went into the bios to see what the memory settings were, and the memory speed was set to 'auto'. I set it to DDR 400 and that seems to have fixed it.

It acted a little weird before finally working. At first, I tried it with one 512 and one 256. It would boot windows, but then sporadically shut down, particularly when I tried right clicking on My Computer to see the amount of RAM in the properties window. I switched the 256 module with my other one, and it acted stable, so I left it like that for a while. Today, I added the other 256 module into the mix, and it appears to be working.

I might memtest eventually just to see what it says.

Thanks again!

Chris

Archived