Corsair Community

1gig fine, 2 gigs CRASH!!!

AngelicBeaver

I've got an Asus A7V600-X motherboard w/ and Athlon XP 2600 processor.

The mobo is capable of taking up to THREE gigabytes of memory, with only two slots capable of supporting PC3200. So I got two gigs of PC3200 (VS1GB400C3).

When any one of them is installed, everything is fine. I individually tested them with memtest and no errors. When I put them both in, I get errors. My system no longer starts up, keeps looping, shutting down, etc. Memtest got 14% through the first pass and got 15000 errors. What do I do?

Incidentally, I had two sticks of 512 in before and I never had any problems. One was Corsair, one was Kingston.

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set? And the part# of all of your modules? And you should not mix memory with any system, but you can try and manually set the memnory frequency at DDR266 and set the timings to Cas 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.7 Volts and test with http://www.memtest.org. But this chipset will not support DDR333 or faster with more than 2 double sided modules installed as well.

I'm not overclocking or doing anything out of the ordinary. I want to use two gigabytes of memory (the memory came in a single package). Model VS1GB400C3 and another just like it. Both test fine individually, but put them together and you have problems.

I'm thinking it is a BIOS setting, but I don't know what to set.

Why would the system become unstable with two gigs of RAM when it was stable with both one gig in one slot and one gig spread over two slots?

All settings on the mobo are pretty much left as the factory set them as I don't know (or care) enough to overclock yet.

Yesterday, my computer died. It just shut down. My wife couldn't restart it and I couldn't when I got home. I switched the power off and let it sit for twenty seconds and then switched it back on and it powered up. I only had one memory stick in the machine, but it was the one I had suspected of being bad before, but mem test said it was okay after a few passes. Maybe I should leave it running all day.

Would that shutting down be caused by bad memory. I was running a very memory intensive panorama program at the time and had been for an hour or more.

That might explain why it crashes with both in... amplifying the bad modules problems? I'm going to try memtest on it again when I leave for work.

So far, this forum isn't very helpful :(

Archived