Corsair Community

Asus P5wd2 Premium

dereko

I have just built a system with a Asus P5WD2 Premium MB, and 2 pieces of Corsair 1GB PC5300 DDR667 Value Select.

It says on the memory configurator on corsair web site that this memory is compatible. The system wont boot.

In the Asus MB Manual, it sates "this motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128Mb chips or double sided x16 memory modules.

Is this memory not comptatible with this MB?

Hi Ramguy.

I had already tested the RAM modules one by one, and still the same result, system does not boot. I probably should have mentioned this in the original post.

I am wondering as this is such a new CPU, that maybe the shipping version of the P5WD2 motherboard needs a BIOS update to support the new D930 CPU, but as I cant even boot into the BIOS to check the version, this is a wild guess. I also do not have another LGA775 CPU to swap it and try.

There is only one BIOS listed on the ASUS site and it's dated Novemebr last year, so that's only a wild guess.

If it turns out that the RAM is not the problem, can I use 4 x 1GB 667 Value Select in this board, and will it still run @ 667. I have heard some boards step down the DDR speed back to 533 or lower when you use 4 x 1GB or 4 x 2GB modules with all four slots populated?

Archived