Corsair Community

twinx not running at 1T anymore

MadPhysics

I have TWINX of CMX512-3200C2PT rev 4.3 (not sure if you could just get that from my profile info or not). DFI lanparty nf4 sli-dr, enermax 535w psu, 3500+ cpu.

After building the computer and just turning it on, the default auto-detected spd values (so 3-3-3-8, 1T, dual channel, and whatever other settings I'm not sure) ran stable for about 5 months or more. Then randomly there were BSODs (or perhaps not randomly, FEAR demo might have stressed it out, I wasn't very forgiving in the settings dept when I tried it out)

I used Angry Gamer's guide over at DFI-street and his settings yeilded stability for about another 3 or 4 weeks. Keep in mind those are still 3-3-3-8 and not 2.5-3-3-6...but it started BSOD'ing again. I tried all sorts of loose settings and drive strengths and upping the voltage a touch etc to try to coax it back into running, but nothing gets it running in 1T anymore. They need 2T. They're stable in 2T. Memtest always passed them, so I'm judging this off of Prime95 (I also used minidump debug tool to determine it was in fact memory corruption). Each module runs okay on its own it seems, but I'm not sure if I should try some tighter tolerances when they're alone for troubleshooting or what--obviously if they're slopped up it'd present itself in more sensitive dual-channel, double-dimm setup before it would show in a single dimm.

Judging by the degrading quality over time...is this surely the RAM? Or is it possible for memory controllers to slowly go? btw this was always running at 200mhz ram clock and FSB too. Surprised any components gave out, their work so far has been relatively un-stressful...

Anyhow, any help appreciated

Thanks!

Will I need the original packaging? ...That's a few hours drive away at my folks' place--I don't have a ton of space here... basically I guess that question becomes: do you guys normally ship out replacements first with a credit card hold, and then receive the faulty stuff? I'm guessing not because that eliminates the possibility of you returning the same modules to the customer upon finding "nothing wrong". And I know you're a big company so I do have confidence that you don't just run memtest on them, and that your methods might possibly be sorta secret, but what kinda testing do you do? I assume it's thorough, by some kind of dedicated hardware device that might give some kind of quantitative insight rather than just qualitative?

I haven't filled out the form yet because I haven't had a chance to grab the package and original newegg paper invoice/packing slip--will electronic invoice, such as e-mail, suffice?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
Just use an antistatic bag and a small box to ship them. And no I am sorry we do not sell direct so that is hard for us to do. But you are welcome to call our customer service at 888-222-4346 and ask if there is anything they can do.

Archived