Corsair Community

Bad Memory

hkoc

Hi,

I believe I have 2 BAD ddr Modules (CMX512-2700LLPT XMS2705v1.2).

My Computer with Windows 2003 shutdows hangs and shutdown unexpectedly.

I thought it was my harddrive who has maybe bad sectors. I changed my harddrive and still got the problem.

Thereby I tried to install a hole new Windows 2003 installation, but during installation I get several errors and a blue screen, then I thought maybe it's the cdrom drive who cannot read the files well. I changed my cdrom drive but I still could not installa windows 2003

So I decided to do install Linux Centos. My pc hung in the beginning of the installtion process.

Finally I changed my memory modules, and all the problems were gone.

I have 2 CMX512-2700LLPT XMS2705v1.2 modules and expected that one of them was bad, so tried with 1 module and still get the problems as described above. So I put out that module and put in the other module and guess what: still got the errors.

To be sure I put my 2 CMX512-2700LLPT XMS2705v1.2 modules into another pc who support these modules and also get strange errors there.

I believe both modules are bad.

I read about the Garanty and what to do in case of bad memory.

Do I have to request a RMA?

Please Help.

• Corsair Employee

The MB you have will not support these modules. I would suggest the memor voltage be set to 2.7 Volts minimum with these modules and the MB you have listed will not let you set the memory voltage. I would tets the modules one ata time with these settings if you can get a MB that will allow you to adjust the memory voltage.

Memory Frequency: DDR333

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

Archived