Corsair Community

Bad XMS3200 sticks

First time poster :D

I bought 2x512MB modules of Corsair XMS3200 Ram sticks from ebuyer:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52471

on the 24-05-2005

Arrived fine, and were put in my new system - Asus A8N-sli motherboard with an Athlon64 3000+.

For a while they were fine, then I started getting BSOD errors.

I tried each stick separately, and it seemed to be only one giving me errors.

I removed the apparent dodgy one, and the system ran fine for a bit with just the one stick.

Then, it started playing up as well.

At the moment I'm running with both sticks in dual-channel mode and am getting frequent crashes.

Constant BSODs, each attributing different errors - PFN_list_corrupt, an nv4_disp.dll, I think there was an USB_BUGCODE driver one, all kinds of random errors.

I am getting constant crashes in games - Counter Strike: Source is constantly just closing and forcing me back to desktop; I've had a few "memory could not be read" errors while attempting to play Garry's Mod; along with all the BSODs.

Firefox is also constantly crashing me to the desktop.

I cannot run memtest86 as my floppy drive doesn't work; however I am about to run memtest+ from a USB drive and see what happens.

None of my parts are overclocked; they are all at factory default settings.

There's a few of my posts at PCformat here:

http://forum.pcformat.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=40638&highlight=

http://forum.pcformat.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=41297&highlight=

http://forum.pcformat.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=41418&highlight=

From looking at TSXExpress, my timings should be:

Speed: 400MHz Latency: 2-3-3-6 Voltage: 2.75

I am not sure how to get into my bios to check this - should my bios settings read the same as this? If they don't; and I change them, should it fix the problems?

Any help would be appreciated - I really want my ram to work!

Thanks in advance,

Paul

• Corsair Employee

Yes Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Thanks for the reply.

I can't run memtest as have no CDburner or floppt drive; it took me about half an hour yesterday trying to get my USB drive to be bootable and my motherboard doesn't even seem to support USB booting; I will look for a BIOS update.

At the moment I'm running with only one stick; with both in, it's crashed 3 times this morning and I've only had the PC on for 10 minutes.

ONce it crashed while I was surfing the web, then TWICE before I could even get logged into Windows.

I'll try the voltage timings you said.

Thanks

Paul

Hi again,

I'm getting seriouly peeved with this memory, and quickly getting disillusioned with the company.

Upon crashing a further two times, I switched the sticks over, and got more constand blue screens - attributing, among other things, ntfs.sys and something about a stack error.

I tried both sticks in together, and this resulting in getting NO signal to the monitor.

I took one out, and still had no signal.

I swapped them over; got a signal on the monitor, but again, constant bluescreens, before the WIndows login even appeared.

At the moment I'm using some generic 256 sticks I found on my workbench, and they seem to be running stable.

I can't test if it's the graphics card yet as the motherboard has no on-board graphics.

I can't run memtest as I spent 1/2 an hour last night trying to get my USB drive bootable and it doesn't work.

Please help before I throw my PC out the window!

- Paul

/edit

I change the voltage settings as you said, but this resulted in the no signal errors.

I now cannot access the BIOS as it doesn't seem to respond to the <del> key.

/edit2

Been running a long time with these genericy sticks and it's been rock solid so far. Even let me play a bit of Counter-strike :D

Archived