Corsair Community

3500LL Pro touches Zalman HSF - problem?

Philly

I have an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard, for which I bought 2GB of 3500LL Pro memory. I also bought a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu heat sink/fan to cool my X2 3800+ cpu.

In putting these parts together, I note that a few of the Zalman's cooling fins touch a portion of the upper part of one of the 3500LLs.

Is any contact between the cooling fins and a DIMM unacceptable? Or would the amount of heat transfer be insignificant? I don't know how hot the fins get, nor what the material on the outside of the DIMM is and how it might be affected.

Philly

No contact would be prefered, but as long as the system is stable there should not be any problems.

That's a relief, thanks!

There's an alternative I'm considering - putting my Corsair 3500LL Pros in the A2 and B2 DIMM slots instead of A1 and B1. (It's A1 that's too close to the Zalman HSF).

However, my Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe manual says to only use A1 and B1. Would it hurt to try A2 and B2?

As a side note, the QVL on the next page implies that either pair of slots can be used, so I'm very confused.

Philly

Archived