Corsair Community

timings wont set right?

str1der_D

im new to this forum and this whole RAM thing. so if i do something wrong here im sorry. i used to think ram is ram and theres nothing different except speed and size. then i hear about this latency thing. anyway....my specs

Athlon 64 3200+ 754 pin

1 gb cmx1024-3200c2 Corsair XMS

MSI K8N-Neo3

500W PSU Viomax(+3.3-30A)(5v-50A)(12v-25A)(-12v-.8A)(-5v-.5A)(5VSB-2A)

i bought a stick of cmx3200-1024c2 and the latencies are supposed to be 2-3-3-6 but i can only get it at 2.5-3-3-6. i understand that 2-3-3-6 is the right speed for this RAM and that i even looked up my motherboard in the corsair site and made sure it was compatible. it said it was tested at latencies 2-3-3-6. is there really a big performance difference from 2.5 - 2? anyway...any help would be fine. thanks!

• Corsair Employee
With MSI MB's you have to load performance defaults then you can set the timings to Cas 2.0. In addition I would set the memory voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. But I would also make sure that you have the latest bios version as well. Especially if you have a new Vinice or San Diego core CPU's.

With MSI MB's you have to load performance defaults then you can set the timings to Cas 2.0. In addition I would set the memory voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. But I would also make sure that you have the latest bios version as well. Especially if you have a new Vinice or San Diego core CPU's.

i bought my cpu pretty early when the 64's came out. so i have a newcastle core. ANYwho, my bios is updated. i tried setting the bios on system defaults and then setting the latencies correctly and setting the Memvoltage to 2.7. the system boots up windows but becomes very unstable. blue screens all around. i hope its jes the cheap mobo. cuz i feel like this mobo (the only msi 754 mobo that has pci-E) wasnt really created properly. like they just threw it together er something. being that its new, there arent really any new bios. anyway, i dont know wat to do. it does fine at 2.5 but i kinda want the latencies that i paid for. i will test it on another machine to really know whether or not its my system or the ram. thx

i tried my friends cpu

friend's specs

AMD athlon 64 3500+ 939 pin NewCastle core

A8n -SLI deluxe ASUS

once again, this stick at cas 2 latency is highly unstable. should i RMA this? does anyone else have the same problem?????

BTW its version 1.2. if that means anything at all....

EDIT: i heard that it runs CL2.5 only on EARLY core amd(such as the XP's and the older 64 cores, like mine and my friend's) platforms, and i also heard that they fixed this with the newer cores. anyone wanna clear this up for me please??? it would mean alot because here i was thinking i was gonna get CL2 and then i find out AFTER i buy it that my system cant get it! its kind of doing some psychological damage! hehehe ;)

Archived