Corsair Community

defective memory modules

c_schwamborn

Hi,

I have a pair of twinxddr400ll 512MB modules (1GB memory-kit), which I think are defektive. After some crashes I started memtest86 for a night and the result were some errors. Since I bougth these module two and a half jear ago, my dealer do not seem to be willing to handle this.

Sincerely yours, Christian Schwamborn

edit:

No, I received another message from my dealer, they won't handle the warranty, they say I have to do it directly with Corsair.

At first some additional informations about my memtests:

The errors are not randomly and the are not shown in a short test. My last test went over night (about 10 hours) and found 39 errors, these are allways single-Bit errors at same memoy-addresses. When I swapped the modules, the memoy-addresses of the errors shiftet.

Ok, some description of my hardware:

RAM: XMS-Number XMS3205v1.2, Lot-Code 0325117 (2xTWINX512MB Modules = 1GBKIT) I think the rest of the numbers on the module isn't important.

MB: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

CPU: Athlon XP 2600

since septenber 05:

MB: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe

CPU: Athlon 64 3000

and before the question is comming up:

power supply: BeQuiet Blackline 470W

I realized the undefined systemcrashes already with my old system, but since I planed anyway to upgrade I decided to investigate later in this case (since I had no time, its december now).

...and the settings:

normally my new system runs slitely overclocked (in my old system just the unlocked cpu (Barton2600@2.3GHz) not the memory and it was stable as a rock until, I thing July) but I when I realized that the new system (with fresh OS - WinXP & Linux) showed the same problems I tried all default settings as well - that means:

default:

CPU-Settings:

HT-Frequency = x5 (auto)

CPU-Frequency = 200 (auto)

CPU-Multiplier = x9 (auto)

DRAM-Settings: all on auto

CPU-Speed = 1800 MHz

overclocked:

CPU-Settings:

HT-Frequency = x4

CPU-Frequency = 250

CPU-Multiplier = x9

CPU-Speed = 2250 MHz

DRAM-Settings:

since I have to modify the DRAM-clock-multiplier the auto-setting won't work

DRAM-Frequency = 333MHz - thats just a silly setting in the BIOS-Menu, the formula is: overdeclocked-CPU-Frequency/(fault-CPU-Frequency/real-DRAM-Frequency) >>> 200/166=~1.2 (DRAM-Multiplier) 250/1.2=~208

so the real DRAM-Frequency is 208 MHz (a bit more than specified, but I have seen much more and in a good cooled system no problem)

The rest is almost the standard, the system uses in auto-mode. I checked the values with the values form the mudules eeproms:

CAS Latency = 2

Tras = 6T

Trcd = 3T

Trp = 2T

Trc = 11T

Trfc = 13T

Trwt = 4T

Twr = 3T

Memory Timing = 2T

Meanwhile I tried higher values, but with no result, the memory-test still presents errors.

Have a happy new year,

Christian Schwamborn

PS.: Sorry for that horrible english, I'm reading a lot, but writing is something different.

• Corsair Employee
Please try and set the memory voltage to 2.8 Volts and see if that makes a difference. if not please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived