Corsair Community

FlashVoyager & HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

Izu uzI

Hello,

I'm a systems & networks admin in a quiet big society, so I often need to install computers from scratch. Some weeks ago, I was searching an USB Key big enough to care a Ghost image while beeing bootable. I found the Corsair FlashVoyager 2GB on Internet, and I bought it. But since, I've never been able to boot from. I tried many different computers & configurations, many different bootable disks as source, and many way to make it bootable, but I failed each time.

I was at first using your tool, but it only knows how to copy system files from a Win98/Me bootdisk, which isn't very usefull when you want to make a Ghost bootdisk... Anyway, I tried it just to check if at least it works when doing things like your programmers wanted us to do, and I got an "Operating system not found" error...

Then I tried the wellknown, reputed and advised HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. Actually, this tool allowed me to make bootable an old 256MB USB Key than I thought unable to boot, but it never succeeded with the 2GB FlashVoyager. I got a "Device media is write-protected" error. Beside that, I'm still able to use the key like before. Nothing seems internally unset or broken, like lot of people seems to suffer on there. So I uninstalled your driver/software, thinking it was maybe puting the key in read-only mode for other applications, then I restarted Windows and I retried.

Guess what... It still failed.

So, here is my question: How is it possible to boot from a FlashVoyager WITHOUT unplugging the harddrives (eh what the goal to run such a system), like with most others USB Key?

Ok, I found the solution alone. It was cause I put the USB Key under the B Drive letter... Looks like the A & B letters are still weirdly reserved for floppydrives, even if most of the today's computers are free of them. In result, the USB Key is still usable, but not seen as a removable drive.

Thanks to myself.

yup, i am network technician and i have the same problem, me and my colegues have brought 4 flash voyager sticks, and after a month and a half none of us succed in making them bootable. we are very frustrated on this matter :( as we hoped that the days of moving around with a hdd are over, but life didn't agree on that matter and made us buy a Flash Voyager, i think the lesson here is that looks isn't everything :))

However if someone knows how to solve this problem please share it with us.

Please excuse my poor english, best wishes :)

• Corsair Employee

Actually sorry for the delay but Jack Flash and I have been doing some testing to try and help you with a solution.

There should be no problem with what you are trying to do, in fact I do this with my server at home. However you will need to use a Win9x/Me Boot floppy and then format the flash drive with the boot floppy with system files if the boot disk option does not work from our software.

We have had someone report this and up till now we have not been able to duplicate the problem. But yesterday we did se an issue with the utility and are looking into the possible cause.

Archived