Corsair Community

Abit AW8-Max New Bios

Tyr-Ant

I was thinking I'd buy an AW8-Max. Corsair's memory selector says the most popular model for this board is the CM2X512A-6400 (DDR2-800).

As of today (12/19) Abit has posted a new BIOS for this board. One of the updates is the addition of DDR2-800 support.

Is that model still the most worthwhile for this board? I'd rather run stock speeds, but I'm not opposed to some minor tinkering. I was most likely going to put a P4 660 in this board.

Thanks for any help.

• 1 month later...

I am researching and trying to figure out what the best combo is for the abit AW8 max.

I am looking at putting a p4 630 (3.0) and overclocking to 3.8 if it can be done....what i like about the xpert is the LED's with information...i see now that there are no ddr2 xpert modules....i would be willing to wait a few weeks to purchase...if that is possible.

can you explain a little more about why the 5400UL would be better than the 6400....and what the "pro" brings to the table

trying to wrap my brain around all of these numbers.:confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Eric

• Corsair Employee
Well it may be a mute point as XM2S5400UL and XM2S8000UL are both not available at the moment. But the Pro modules have the activity LED's no mater what the spec of the specific module is. Right now I would go with XM2S-5400UL if you can find then becasue they will support a wider range of settings. If not available then go with XM2S-6400.

Can you help me understand a little better what the 5400UL brings to the fight vs the 6400, or the 5400c4(if i wanted to go with the pro).

I am looking at buying an abit aw8-max with at p4 630 3.0g processor and want to overclock it(supposedly i should be able to get it to a 3.8). Really my first time getting serious about overclocking....been dabbling..but not really understanding the complexities...although i have been building computers for over 20years...so i understand the basics.

I appreciate any enlightenment and help with my project.

cheers,

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I am running the AW8-MAX with a Pentium D 830 and a TWIN2X1024-5400UL pair. Its a spectacular combination for overclocking. I find I can run the 5400UL modules at 800MHz with 3-3-2-9 timings if I give them a steady 2.1V. Thats much better timings and hence better memory throughput than you can expect from the C4 or 6400 parts. For over clocking the 5400UL pairs are unbeatable. Unconfirmed rumor hast that they have been run upto 1066MHz. That allows you a lot of freedom for overclocking multipliers and ratios.

Now if they they were actually still available that would be great. But it seems the suppliers are not meeting the demand for high performance parts at the moment. If they had parts for sale I'd buy a second pair myself.

Archived