Corsair Community

I have a bad ram

Forrest1980

Hi, my name is Vincent. First of all, thanks a lot for the time you're taken to help me out. My english is so-so, but I'll try my best to be understandable. Also, I'm not a computer wiz, but I still know a bit more than average.

I've purchased my corsair memory about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago. I've been having a lot of crashes since that time but always thought it was video card related because of the reliability of all corsair products. Sadly, I tried to test it and one stick failed.

I've got a dual set of Corsair platinum series (there's a twinx tm sticker also on it). Here's all the information on the stick that appears to be defective. CMx512-2700LLPT XMS2705v1.2 0322088 and on the last line: XMS2700 512MB 333MHz 2225-T1

My system is an AMD athlon XP 3000+. The motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X deluxe. The video card is an ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128.

I've got 3 slots for the memory stick that look something like this: ¦¦ ¦ I've decided to run Memtest to see if everything was fine. I've run it with both sticks and I got in about an hour well over 200 errors. I tried running it only with stick A (broken one) in slot 1 (the one on the left). Got 150 errors in about an hour. Stick B (other one) in slot 1, no errors. Stick A in slot 3 (the one on the right) 200 errors in about 1 1/2 hour. Stick B in slot, no errors.

This is why I concluded that one of my sticks is defective. Is there anything more you would want me to do or should I fill out a form to return the broken stick???

Thanks again,

Vincent.

Before I send it back to you, I'd like to ask you one more question because by tweeking some settings in the bios and running memtest overnight, I managed to reduce almost to none the errors. I saw in a post to another user that you recommanded 200 mhz for the CPU frequency. When I put this setting, my computer just wont reboot, I have to put a lower value.

Could you please give me all optimal values for my computer so I can make a final test to make sure I have a defective part.

Thanks,

Vincent.

• Corsair Employee

Please try these settings assuming you have a 333 FSB CPU then test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

Archived