Corsair Community

System building config question

fsck

I'm in the process of buying the parts to build a new system. The CPU will be an AMD 3200+ (socket 939). The motherboards I am considering are either an Abit A8N Ultra or a DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D. As for memory, I have two Corsair 1GB memory kits (TWINX1024-3200C2PT).

My questions are this:

Will the 4x512 DIMMS noted above work in these motherboards? Will I have to make any particular or special BIOS settings to have them work?

Both boards support up to 4GB of memory and both have 4 DIMM slots.

thanks

Welcome to the forums, fsck!

With the socket 939 systems, I would try to avoid running anything above 2 modules. Unfortunately, the CPU's integrated memory controller has several limitations when using multiple modules (>2)

-Reduced to 2T command rate.

-Often reduced to DDR333.

-Often unstable without extremely relaxed latencies.

The best idea is 2 * 1GB or 2 * 512MB, whatever is in your budget.

PLUR

CK

Welcome to the forums, fsck!

With the socket 939 systems, I would try to avoid running anything above 2 modules. Unfortunately, the CPU's integrated memory controller has several limitations when using multiple modules (>2)

-Reduced to 2T command rate.

-Often reduced to DDR333.

-Often unstable without extremely relaxed latencies.

The best idea is 2 * 1GB or 2 * 512MB, whatever is in your budget.

PLUR

CK

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I am stuck with the 4x512 DIMMs. I bought them on sale a month ago and they cannot be returned or exchanged after 15 days. :sigh!:

Is this strictly a 939 socket or AMD issue? If so I suppose I could build an Intel based system. I have an Intel system I built three years ago and it is running 4x512 DIMMS ok.

Archived