Corsair Community

TWINX doesnt work together

twinn

Motherboard:

MSI MS-7030 (K8N Neo Series / K8N Neo Platinum)

Memory:

TWINX CMX512-3200 XMS3200v1.1 400MHz

I bought this memory about a year ago when I built my current system, and it has worked great until just recently.

I started getting random reboots and hang ups during windows starting up. This degraded into not getting past the post screens. I tried everything I knew of to isolate the problem, updating all drivers, BIOS, etc..but to no avail.

Finally, I tried some old modules and was able to boot. I even went as far as to try and determine which Corsair module was bad by trying them alone. The odd thing is that the system works (albeit slower than usual) with each module alone, but will not boot up if they are in the system together. I tried them alone in all 3 motherboard slots to ensure it wasn't a bad mobo slot, but both of them work alone in all 3 slots. I even tried all combinations of the modules together using all 3 slots, but the result was the same: If both of these modules are in the mobo at the same time, it doesn't work.

Is this common? If not, I guesss I need to fil out the RMA form and get them replaced.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Tim

• Corsair Employee

To properly figure out if the problem is the memory or not, you should run memtest and inform me of the results.

Here are the directions you can use to run memtest:

1. Head over to http://www.memtest.org

2. Click on the link labeled "Download (Pre-built & ISOs)"

3. Next click on the link labeled "Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)"

4. Download the software and Unzip the program files

5. Make sure a floppy disk is inserted

6. Run the program, when it asks which drive letter type in "a:"

7. Program should finish writing, reboot off floppy disk

8. Allow memtest to run 2-3 passes

I hope these instructions help you! Please let me know what happens!

When I boot Memtest with both modules in, it stops as soon as you see the memtest screen with a blinking cursor at the bottom. The system is essentially locked and no user input whatsoever. It displays some basic information, but does not fill in the chipset.

If I run memtest with the modules by themselves, they test out OK. I ran 3 passes with each module and there were no errors.

After the successful individual tests, I tried both together again and got the same lock up as before.

Regards,

Tim

• Corsair Employee

Because the RAM works fine on at a time, this would suggest a motherboard issue as Dual-Channel is a motherboard feature and not on the RAM itself. It could also stem from the memory controller or possibly even be a bad DIMM slot.

Your best course of action will be to contact MSI with this issue and see if they can offer any assistance such a replacement or a update to fix this issue.

I Have the same board as you (SKT 754) and Running a pair of 2GByte TwinX XMS Matched Memory Pair, and i am experanceing no problems with this amount of ram on this board, and its running at DDR 400 Speed, hope this helps

Yours Faithfully

Ben

• Corsair Employee
I Have the same board as you (SKT 754) and Running a pair of 2GByte TwinX XMS Matched Memory Pair, and i am experanceing no problems with this amount of ram on this board, and its running at DDR 400 Speed, hope this helps

Yours Faithfully

Ben

Do you know what BIOS revision you are using incase that is the issue?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I figured you were right and took your advice on the mobo being the prob. I contacted MSI (not the easiest company to get support from) and eventually ran through some diagnostics that appeared to clear the mobo of any issues.

Instead of hopping back on here immediately, I figured I would go ahead and order the parts for the new machine I was building so I could have a brand new mobo and another set of TWINX to test with.

I bought a set of Corsair matched XMS3202v5.2 CMX512-23200C2PT to go into a GIGABYTE GA-K8N Pro-SLI.

Here arte the results with same exact settings, simply power down and swap modules:

New mobo/new RAM - works like a champ

New mobo old RAM - fails when ran together (still runs individually)

Old mobo/new RAM - works like a champ

Old mobo/old RAM - the reason we are reading this thread to begin with.

I am on the very latest BIOS (1.9) and have tried all combinations of memory slots, but all with the same result. I understand that the modules test out individually, but it seems pretty clear at this point there is something amiss with these units.

Please help.

Regards,

Tim

Archived