Corsair Community

Memory problems TWINX / A8N / BSODs

iammart

Hi there,

I've built a new system recently (see my spec) and keep getting random BSODs; I can be playing a game, watching a video file, surfing, doesn't seem to be any pattern to what I'm doing at the time and does it without warning... All my drivers are pretty much up to date, although most of the BSODs seem to be memory related (Page errors, pfn-list-corrupt...)

The memory is TWINX1024-3200XL pair, on Asus A8N-SLI rev1.02 with 1011 BIOS pretty much set to default. Set to Auto, the memory timings come up as 2.5-3-3-6-2T. How come it doesn't pick up 2-2-2-5-1T, should it do that?

I've had a hunt round the forums and spent the weekend running Memtest86 (v1.65). Initially I had the sticks in slots A1 & B1 as recommended, and memtest came up with occasional errors (1 in 10 passes) always around the same address in test 6. Then I tried each stick on its own in either slot, and it ran for 20-30 passes with no errors! Then I put them back in A1 & B1, it gave me a dozen errors before 2 passes were up; swapped them round and it was back to where I started....!

The BIOS set to auto comes up with:

Timing - 400Mhz

CAS latency - 2.5

Min RAS active time - 5T

RAS-CAS delay - 3T

Row precharge time - 3T

Row cycle time - 11T

Row refresh cycle time - 14T

Read-write time - 4T

Write recovery time - 3T

1T/2T - 2T

I guess the memory isn't bad as the sticks test fine on their own. I'm just curious why I seem to get very specific patterns of errors, and where the BIOS gets its auto settings and how to set it optimally as I'm not familiar with memory settings. Should I be able to run it at 2-2-2-5? I could do with some advice before messing around with all these numbers....

Thanks for your help,

Martin :):

• Corsair Employee
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Hi again,

Thanks for your replies! :):

Unfortunately I think you've overestimated my knowledge!! I have set it to 2-2-2-5 by trial & error but I don't know what the other parameters should be... Are you able to tell me if my BIOS settings above look ok?

Also my PSU is ATX 2.0 spec, 450W with 18A & 16A peak on the 12V rails 1 & 2 respectively... Is that enough or do I need more...?

Cheers,

Martin

Hi

I've done all of the above and have the correct memory speed at 2-2-2-5 DDR400 (not changed the PSU as it should be ok!) and running at 2.8V, I still get errors occuring every other pass in memtest, always at 366.0/366.1MB. Is this a memory fault?

Thanks,

Martin

Archived