Corsair Community

Why wont same spec ram not work?

AnimalK

Hi, I want to purchase 512 or 1024 sticks of ram. Unfortunately, I am confused as to why some types of ram wont work others will even though they are all SODDIM PC2700@333Mhz.

Why is your memory configurator recommending me these sticks:

CMSS1GB-333SOD 1GB

CMSS512MB-333SOD 512MB

And not:

VS1GSDS333 PC2700 1 GB 128Mx64 200 SODIMM

VS512SDS333 PC2700 512MB 64Mx64 200 SODIMM

Obviously I am on a budget, and every penny counts. And please Try not to be vague. Actually I would prefer you be as technical as possible if possible.

I know materials is one difference but that doesnt meen they dont work.

Thanx in advance.

With proprietary systems (Dell,HP,Compaq ect), the BIOS is usually limited

as far as RAM settings go (frequency,timings,voltage).

The System Select RAM is made for such systems and is basically

"Plug and Play".

The Value Select and XMS RAM often need some tweaking which can't be done

with certain systems.

The cost of this RAM is more than the VS just due to the componet cost, but

is guaranteed to work.

If you don't plan on mixing RAM, then the VS modules may work.

I'd see what Ram Guy has to say.

Quite right.

The CMS modules are designed to be added into your system. With the VS modules, you'd have to remove all the other memory modules in your system (and many laptops, there's one you can't even get to) or they probably won't work in your system.

When you say that they have the same specification, this isn't actually true. Granted, the modules are rated to run at the same frequency, but latencies, optimal operating voltage, and several other factors can come into play.

PLUR

CK

• Corsair Employee

The VS1GSDS333 and CMSS1GB-333SOD modules are functionally the same. CMSS parts are built with a restricted bill of materials deemed to provide the best compatibility with OEM systems. As such, we often do not have the capability to use low cost material.

I expect that the VS part will work correctly in your system. And, of course, Corsair's lifetime warranty is in full effect if it does not. Our confidence of first pass success is highest, however, with CMSS parts.

Archived