Corsair Community

Faulty VS1GBKIT400 RAM

pasouth

Hi,

I purchased (2 days ago) a 1 GB Corsair memory module kit of 2 x 184-PIN 512MB PC3200 DDR400-DIMMS. I installed them in my machine and all seemed fine for a short period and then I would hear a crackling sound and the machine would lockup (had to hard reboot). Then at shorter interval the machine would fail again. This was not related to any one piece of software (i.e. sometimes at desktop - XP Pro, sometimes in IE, sometimes in Outlook or a game). It appeared as though the longer the machine was on the worse the problem.

I tried the same pair of dimms in my wife's computer. It already has an identical model pair of Corsair dimms (2 x 184-PIN 512MB PC3200 DDR400-DIMMS) that have worked perfectly for some time now. When I added the two additonal dimms (to bring it to 2 GB total) I had exactly the same problem.

Again it appears that as the machine starts to "warm up" with use one or both of the modules I purchased fails.

Please note the following:

- Both machines are in a ducted air conditioned room

- I have installed latest BIOS and all drivers are up to date

- The Corsair website lists this ram as being compatible with my motherboard (AG8-3rd eye) and I know it is compatible with my wife's machine as she already runs the identical model Corsair dimms and has for some time.

I can only assume there is a fault in one of the modules I purchased.

My machine specs are:

- Abit AG8-3rd Eye

- X800XT video card (PCI Express)

- Western Digital sata 40 GB HDD

- Western Digital sata 160 GB HDD

- Coolmaster Centurion case (has reasonable ventilation/cooling).

- I currently have 2 x 512MB PC3200 DDR-400 DIMMS (non-Corsair) in slots 1 and 3 (which have worked perfectly for 10 months now).

Please advise on how I can have this situation rectified. Thanks

Peter South

Sydney

Australia

• Corsair Employee
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

In point form:

- The timings and voltage were correct (checked against specs for the ram)

- As I said before, my wifes computer has the EXACT same model Corsair ram kit (2 x 512 MB) in slots 1 and 3, working perfectly. I swapped these two dimms for the two identical new ones I purchased recently and the problem continued (i.e. exact same problem in two different machines and motherboards (both motherboards compatible according to Corsair web site))

- I ran MemTest86+ on my wifes machine with the new ram installed and the same problem occured with MemTest86+ running. Crackling sound and the machine locked up.

- As the dimms were bought as a pair I am not going to muck around trying to work out which one of the two is the faulty one. It is obvious that at least one is faulty and so I need the pair replaced regardless.

- I have since arranged with my supplier for a replacement set and they will be picking up the faulty ram this week and replacing within a couple of days.

Since the ram was faulty from purchase I can get a replacement under Australian consumer law without requiring a warranty claim (i.e. in Australia if goods are supplied faulty or in a non-working condition the consumer is entitled to either an exchange or full refund). If the exchange ram works then no problems, otherwise I will be asking for a refund.

Thanks for your assistance

Peter South

No problem, please let us know when you get the new modules.

Had the faulty RAM modules picked up for return start of last week and replacements delivered a couple of days later. Excellent service from my local computer retailer. Anyway, new modules work perfectly and so it must have been a problem with one of the first modules I bought.

Cheers

Peter

Archived