Corsair Community

Compatibility Value Select and Abit NF7-S

bguild

I may need to RMA 2 sticks of Corsair Value Select (VS1GB400C3)that I cannot get to reliably work with either of my ABIT NF7-S motherboards. I've been trying to get these to work for the last 2 months. I've already RMA'd one stick that didn't pass MEM86 testing, and tried several settings recommended by Corsair to no avail. I've loosened up the timings, but still get a lockup while booting the operating system, or a general hardware error happens after using either computer. Both motherboards work fine with existing XXX 512 RAM.. I'm guessing that there is a problem running the larger 1GB memory in dual channel mode with this NF7-S motherboard. Any help would be appreciated!

Bob

Yes, I have run the memory @ 2.7v, (one of the recommendations from this forum), and tried reducing to stock speeds. Neither box is overclocked, with Both BIOS being set to SPD and AUTO, running @ 200 in Dual Channel Mode. Currently the 2 sticks are passing memtest for 12 hours, but either locking up while loading Server 2003 (box #1), or giving me a hardware error and BSOD while running programs in XP Pro (Box #2). Either machine runs fine with a pair of matched 512K PC3200 sticks, or even a pair of generic "unmatched" PC2100 sticks for weeks on end in dual channel mode.

My whole thought process was to increase the RAM to 2G from 1G as I use these boxes as a low end server (box #1) and part time rendering machine (box #2). I contacted Corsair twice before purchasing these VS 1G sticks and was assured they were compatible. Thanks for the help guys, any other input would be greatly appreciated!

• Corsair Employee

Please with just our XMS module installed and reset the bios with the Clear CMOS jumper and then enter the bios setup and set the following settings and work your way up from there:

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performenace: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: Manual/User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

Thanks RAMGUY; but to clarify, I am running Value Select memory, do you want me to exchange it for XMS, or apply your suggestions to the (2)VS1GB400C3 sticks I currently own?

Thanks

Bob

RAMGUY:

After doing some more research on your site, it appears that I should be using ONLY XMS dual channel kits with my Abit NF7-S boards; but I called tech support twice before buying these VS sticks and they assured me the VS1GB400C3 were compatible with my NF7's.... Which is it? If I do need to switch to XMS, can I RMA these and pay the difference for an XMS dual channel set?

Thanks Again for the help!

• Corsair Employee

These modules will run great in that MB! Did you try these settings?

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

These modules will run great in that MB! Did you try these settings?

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

I'm confused, which Modules are you talking about, the Value Select or the XMS? I bought Corsair VS PC3200 sticks so that I could run both the CPU & Memory @200MHz in Dual channel mode... If these VS won'T run @ 3,3,3,8 @200 MHz I'd rather install modules that WILL run on my NF7-S @ 200MHz, and not 166MHZ and take the performance hit. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm confused, which Modules are you talking about, the Value Select or the XMS? I bought Corsair VS PC3200 sticks so that I could run both the CPU & Memory @200MHz in Dual channel mode... If these VS won'T run @ 3,3,3,8 @200 MHz I'd rather install modules that WILL run on my NF7-S @ 200MHz, and not 166MHZ and take the performance hit. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

RAMGUY:

Also, I updated "my PC specs" to current settings, sorry for any confusion!

• Corsair Employee
That CPU will run at 133 Mhz by default, so you will have to over clock the CPU to run at 200 Mhz and if you do not have it set right the system will not run at 200 Mhz. Can you tell me the bios settings you have set or you are trying to set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

That CPU will run at 133 Mhz by default, so you will have to over clock the CPU to run at 200 Mhz and if you do not have it set right the system will not run at 200 Mhz. Can you tell me the bios settings you have set or you are trying to set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

No Problem; My Current BIOS Settings are as follows:

CPU Operating speed : User Define

External Clock : 200 MHz

Mutiplier Factor : 10.0

CPU FSB/DRAM : 3/3 (400 MHz)

CPU Interface : Enabled

Power Supply Control : User Defined

CPU Core : 1.65v

DDR SDRAM Voltage : 2.7v

ChipSet Voltage : 1.6v

AGP Voltage : 1.5v

Memory Timings : Expert

Row-Active Delay : 8

RAS-to-CAS : 3

Row-Precharge : 3

CAS LAtency Time : 3

CPU is an AMD 2600-M which had been running (200*11) with High Performance Memory PC3200 (512 * 2) @ 6,2,2,2 for about 12 mos without a wimper.. Mutiplier was reduced & timings changed for the Value Select memory.

The folks over at the ABIT forum suggest that I try running the VS in slots #1 and #2, as the VS sticks are probably not "close enough match" to run in dual channel mode.... Maybe I should give it a try? Of course since I'm trying to double my RAM while keeping the dual channel mode, it defeats the whole purpose of buying the VS.

As always, thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help RAMGUY:As it turns out, after reviewing Server performance logs and Motherboard Monitor 5 logs, it seemed that the 12v rail was low when the CPU was @ 100% for more than a minute.

I took your suggestion and tested under Mem86 with a new power supply (SeaSonic 600) and the VS ran flawlessly @ 200*10 @ 8,3,3,3 @ 2.7v in Dimms #2 and #3 (in dual channel mode).

Since then, Ive bumped the timings slightly and it's been running for almost a week now @ 200*11 @ 8,3,3,3 (in dual channel mode). My question is: Is that a "safe" overclock for these VS modules? Part#'s (20-145-505(532150) & (20-145-505(528888). Any advise would be appreciated...

Thanks again for all of the help!

Archived