Corsair Community

Issue with 2 sticks of DDR 512

cvgaddict

I have a Asus P5RD1-V (http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket775/p5rd1-v/overview.HTM) and I've been running fine with a stick of Corsair XMS 512 MB DDR SDRAM (CMX512-3200C2PT), but I recently decided I wanted to up to a gig of RAM. Being a little short on money this time around, I decided to buy a stick of Corsair ValueSelect 512MB DDR SDRAM (VS512MB400). I knew that I couldn't expect to get the performance of having 2 XMSs, but I was surprised when my computer wouldn't boot at all when I put both sticks in.

I know both sticks work since when I put them in one at a time in the first slot, the computer runs fine.

At first I tried setting them up as Dual Channel, when that didn't work I tried the two as Single Channel. Then I tried the same thing with the 2 types switched. Then I tried putting them in the first and fourth RAM slots for good measure. On all counts the computer's fans and lights all turned on, but no boot up (basically the same behavior as when I don't put a stick of RAM in correctly).

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a compatibility issue here? Or maybe the culprit is something else entirely?

Thanks for the help in advance.

• Corsair Employee
You would need to use matching modules with this platform, I would see if the reseller will let you send this module back and find another use for the older module and just order a Twinx1024-3200XL set of modules for best performance.

I'm actually not that dead set on using getting Dual Channel performance. If I want 2 512 sticks set up in Single Channel mode do I still need matching modules? If I got another identical stick of Corsair XMS 512 MB DDR SDRAM (CMX512-3200C2PT) would I be able to set it and my old stic up in single channel mode?

Archived