Corsair Community

Fixed iCUE not recognizing RAM/DIMM properly.

Boss 429

I found the culprit. Whenever I overclock my RAM, iCUE thinks I have mixed and matched my RAM sticks and starts doing weird ****. I even got a warning saying I shouldn't mix RAM sticks.... Everytime it's like whack-a-mole. A random stick is either off or is showing a completely different RGB setting than the rest. Sometimes all of 'm even.

Solution: Load defaults in bios and reinstall iCUE. All components should be recognized now.

Turn on device memory mode, setup your rgb/fan settings, save device memory settings.

Turn off 'launch icue when starting up pc'.

Close iCUE (can even delete iCUE, just make sure you don't mess with device memory mode after you have overclocked again! You can however turn off DMM and then continue tinkering around. As long as DMM has your desired settings and iCUE isn't running it should be working properly.)

Done.

Can I ask what CPU you have? I'm on a 14700KF

I recently got this issue myself. I have two sticks of Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR5 RAM (both from the same pack). On loading Icue today one of my sticks wasn't picked up by Icue and it had the "mixed RAM sticks" message (EXPO and XMP).

When I shut down my PC, it said there was an issue with the RAM overclock and then it loaded the default BIOS settings. I reapplied my BIOS settings, enabled XMP, and went back into Windows. Icue then picked up the RAM as normal.

I rarely use Icue as I hate it, but I do sometimes load it to check for firmware updates. I've uninstalled it now.

The reason I asked about your CPU was I was concerned that this might have something to do with the recent Intel 13th and 14th gen fiasco and that maybe my CPU is dying. I am fairly certain my RAM is fine as I have tested it.

This XMP/EXPO "mixed kits" warning message is an error in the literal sense.  You can get it regardless of whether your kit is AMD, Intel, or has combination presets.  You can get it on a RAM kit you've had for a year and has XMP only presets.  A lot of users are seeing it on the 5.16/5.17 versions.  Most indicate it does not return after dismissing the pop-up.  

The warning does not have a functional impact on your RAM but you can't engage the Windows level tuning (performance manager) when it's active.  You also shouldn't use Windows level RAM tuning unless you know exactly what you are doing.  RAM timings and settings are better done in the BIOS where you won't trash your Windows installation with a mistake.  If you are seeing real RAM boot, stability problems, it likely is because there is a real boot/stability issues.

If you are seeing this warning continuously each boot, the only real option besides ignoring it is to clean install CUE and hope on reload it behaves like most other people, with the one time only warning (or not at all).   

Edited by c-attack

It looks like it was a one time thing. When I rebooted my PC following the iCue issue with my RAM, I was presented with the "Previous overclock failed. Press F1 to enter setup. Press F2 to reset BIOS and enter setup" page - this reset my bios settings to default.

Worth mentioning that I have been tuning my bios a lot recently considering the recent Intel issues; this tuning largely focuses on undervolting. For some reason I think my PC doesn't like it when I lock all P-Cores to a specific value (I was doing this to stop the two boost cores boosting to 5.6GHz - I was instead locking all P-Cores to 5.5GHz). This setting seems to cause some issues with my system, so I reverted it. My bios seems to think I'm over-clocking when I activate this setting.

I can't seem to repeate the RAM mixed kits issue on several boots now in iCue. Both modules are recognised in iCue. XMP is also working as intended and operating at 6000MHz.

Should I investigate further or is this most likely related to the recent iCue software bug?

Edited by Nobleflame

No, it's a definite bug.  There were a few isolated cases during the past few months and there wasn't any good indicators as to why those specific users got it.  However, with these last two versions there are a lot of reports and I got it as well on my first 5.17 test version a while back.  My kit is Intel only and has been in use for on this Z790 for quite a while.  It certainly does not have any EXPO presets and I don't use the XMP presets either.  It is a CUE mistake and one that should diminish next version.

Yeah, really unsteady ground with these new BIOS versions and a lot of hidden rules.  I keep finding new triggers that silently change other settings and not always for the better.  I am trying to remember... you have an Asus Z790?

• Like 1

Thanks c-attack - I suspected as much. My MB is a Z790 MSI MAG TOMAHAWK. You've helped me quite a bit in the past so I thank you for that.

On an unrelated note: I actually completely removed the H100i AIO from my system in favour of a Noctua air cooler. It was giving me some strange power issues - occasionally it'd start but it'd make a strange noice. I had all of my fans (six) all linked up to the AIO in one daisy chain to the hub, so maybe it was that.

At any rate, I haven't had an Intel stability issues with my 14700KF since I got it last November. In fact, I've only had issues since I've been fiddling with the bios to try and get the VCORE under control. Had a BSOD and now this issue with the RAM. I think that's down to undervolting and software issues though.

What a pain it is to have modern hardware these days!

• 1 month later...