Corsair Community

QL120 RGB Fans flicker and change colours while gaming

Go to solution Solved by Vhxzy,

So i've just recently put together my PC and everything has gone smooth except for one thing. Whenever I am in game my fans change colors, flicker, or even just go black, then eventually I will get a crash report from iCUE Software. I've read some forums and some say update bios. I've done that and now my fans do the same thing except sometimes they change to red (creepy) but still flicker and turn off then crash. I'm running 6 QL 120 RGB Fans connected to the Corsair iCUE Commander CORE XT plugged into my Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite Ax USB. I also have Corsair Vengeance DDR5 RGB 64Gb Ram. I've also turned off iCue SDK and Game SDK in Settings under SDK. I've done a clean install of iCUE. I'm not sure if this would be a power supply issues as mine is a 1000W PSU and my components aren't drawing near to that number. If anyone has found a soloution or have any insight please let me know. TIA 

1) Any games in particular or all games?

2) Are you running any other monitoring tools at all?

10 hours ago, DevBiker said:

1) Any games in particular or all games?

2) Are you running any other monitoring tools at all?

I've played Rocket League, Rainbow Six Siege, and Call of Duty Black Ops 3 and all of them ran into the same issue so it's not game specific. I've watched my task manager performance tab and it seems my GPU spiked to 100 for just a split second as my iCUE software crashed. Hope this gives you a little more info.

What about any other monitoring tool? Anything like Aida or HWInfo? These have issues with iCUE that we can normally work around.

One thing to now about the crash, though, is certainly the GPU usage. iCUE does use GPU for display; it's just how the QT UI library works. It uses OpenGL rather than DirectX so it is a different API than the games. OpenGL does have different drivers but both are part of the GPU driver stack. Not sure yet, though, if that would be a cause of the crash or merely part of the aftermath. You should have the opportunity to get a crash log and send it. Make sure that  you do that. If there's an ID or something, get a ticket with support to look into it.  Also ... take a look at the message. IIRC, it usually displays a module that caused the crash (e.g. 'goober.dll'). If you can post that, it might be interesting.

I did not previously have any monitoring tools. although after seen your post i downloaded HWinfo. I screenshot the results of HWinfo and also the iCUE crash report although there was no option to read what the crash log reported. I should note I cant even watch youtube while gaming as my youtube video lags and buffers as soon as i tab into my game. could this be related? and why because i took the gpu out of my old pc (1060 6GB) to put in my new build until i buy a new GPU, but it was perfectly capable of running youtube and games in my previous computer which was severly underpowered in comparison. Also is there OpenGL drivers i should install? TIAHWinfo.thumb.PNG.19497b44c2c809be7d6da4c2a80a623e.PNG

crash report.PNG

7 hours ago, DevBiker said:

What about any other monitoring tool? Anything like Aida or HWInfo? These have issues with iCUE that we can normally work around.

One thing to now about the crash, though, is certainly the GPU usage. iCUE does use GPU for display; it's just how the QT UI library works. It uses OpenGL rather than DirectX so it is a different API than the games. OpenGL does have different drivers but both are part of the GPU driver stack. Not sure yet, though, if that would be a cause of the crash or merely part of the aftermath. You should have the opportunity to get a crash log and send it. Make sure that  you do that. If there's an ID or something, get a ticket with support to look into it.  Also ... take a look at the message. IIRC, it usually displays a module that caused the crash (e.g. 'goober.dll'). If you can post that, it might be interesting.

I did not previously have any monitoring tools. although after seen your post i downloaded HWinfo. I screenshot the results of HWinfo and also the iCUE crash report although there was no option to read what the crash log reported. I should note I cant even watch youtube while gaming as my youtube video lags and buffers as soon as i tab into my game. could this be related? and why because i took the gpu out of my old pc (1060 6GB) to put in my new build until i buy a new GPU, but it was perfectly capable of running youtube and games in my previous computer which was severly underpowered in comparison. Also is there OpenGL drivers i should install? TIA

crash report.PNG

HWinfo.PNG

Crud ... no identification. It's probably in the dump. That's in %LocalAppData%\Corsair\CrashData but we don't have a way to see what you sent. See if you can grab the logs from that folder (C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Corsair\CrashData)

OpenGL drives are included in the driver package from nVidia. You may want to do a fresh install/clean install of the drivers. It can't hurt. And a 1060 will handle video from YouTube just fine. My family room machine has a 1030 - no problems at all with video.

• Like 1

Oh! And don't run HWInfo. Or, if you do, go into the "Safety" section in settings and disable Corsair Link/Asetek support.

9 hours ago, DevBiker said:

OpenGL drives are included in the driver package from nVidia. You may want to do a fresh install/clean install of the drivers. It

I was wondering about this as well. The YouTube slow down while gaming suggests something is creating a lot of traffic. I would try a clean install of the Nvidia driver and CUE again. Take them both out, then do the GPU driver first. See if that issue with YouTube is present before reinstalling CUE. 

With HWinfo you don’t want it to fight with CUE over device access. Besides the safety option mentioned above, you don’t want it to monitor fan controllers like the Commander Pro/Core/XT or CUE Link hub. You can stop that directly by right clicking on that device section in HWinfo and choose disable. Same if you have an “I” PSU. RAM monitoring is usually fine. 

18 hours ago, DevBiker said:

Crud ... no identification. It's probably in the dump. That's in %LocalAppData%\Corsair\CrashData but we don't have a way to see what you sent. See if you can grab the logs from that folder (C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Corsair\CrashData)

OpenGL drives are included in the driver package from nVidia. You may want to do a fresh install/clean install of the drivers. It can't hurt. And a 1060 will handle video from YouTube just fine. My family room machine has a 1030 - no problems at all with video.

9 hours ago, c-attack said:

I was wondering about this as well. The YouTube slow down while gaming suggests something is creating a lot of traffic. I would try a clean install of the Nvidia driver and CUE again. Take them both out, then do the GPU driver first. See if that issue with YouTube is present before reinstalling CUE. 

With HWinfo you don’t want it to fight with CUE over device access. Besides the safety option mentioned above, you don’t want it to monitor fan controllers like the Commander Pro/Core/XT or CUE Link hub. You can stop that directly by right clicking on that device section in HWinfo and choose disable. Same if you have an “I” PSU. RAM monitoring is usually fine. 

So I uninstalled HWinfo, uninstalled iCUE, and reinstalled NVIDIA drivers on a clean installation, and I am able to watch youtube and game again cool. but I reinstalled iCUE and now its happening again, so its a software issue? what else could interfere with iCUE ? Other fan control programs I have is NXZT CAM and GCC (Gigabyte Control Center) I tried to attach the iCUE crash report but its too big to be uploaded. What can I use to read this properly as I dont know how. TIA

2 hours ago, Vhxzy said:

Other fan control programs I have is NXZT CAM and GCC (Gigabyte Control Center)

Well, those are both two that come up frequently.  However, most often it's more basic "my fans are stuck on red" rather than a full app crash.  CAM is for the AIO and GCC the MB?

2 minutes ago, c-attack said:

Well, those are both two that come up frequently.  However, most often it's more basic "my fans are stuck on red" rather than a full app crash.  CAM is for the AIO and GCC the MB?

yeah my fans also change to red but then they flicker then eventually iCUE crashes. And you're correct CAM for AIO and GCC for MB.

Are there any other Corsair CUE devices besides the Commander XT + QL fans?  Realistically you might have to make a choice here.  I haven't used CAM in quite a while.  If it can still run it's fans from device memory then that is an option, but if it's one of those LCD tops then it likely needs to the software.  On the other hand, you can set the QL to a specific HW Lighting Effect and then CUE not to start with Windows.  

For the Gigabyte control center and Fusion, make sure it's not set to "sync all" or similar language that gives it permission to take over other devices.  Also, if the case fans are CUE and AIO fans CAM, then what role is GCC playing in your system?

Either way, probably time to test the theory.  Not too easy to simply toggle any MB software program off, but you can quit CAM and kill and remaining processes in Task Manager.  See if CUE still crashes.  It might if GCC is the one getting tangled up with it.  

Edited by c-attack

On 4/7/2024 at 6:14 PM, c-attack said:

Are there any other Corsair CUE devices besides the Commander XT + QL fans?  Realistically you might have to make a choice here.  I haven't used CAM in quite a while.  If it can still run it's fans from device memory then that is an option, but if it's one of those LCD tops then it likely needs to the software.  On the other hand, you can set the QL to a specific HW Lighting Effect and then CUE not to start with Windows.  

For the Gigabyte control center and Fusion, make sure it's not set to "sync all" or similar language that gives it permission to take over other devices.  Also, if the case fans are CUE and AIO fans CAM, then what role is GCC playing in your system?

Either way, probably time to test the theory.  Not too easy to simply toggle any MB software program off, but you can quit CAM and kill and remaining processes in Task Manager.  See if CUE still crashes.  It might if GCC is the one getting tangled up with it.  

I also have Corsair Vengeance DDR5 Ram.

I tried force closing CAM and GCC and neither it seems they arent affecting my iCUE software. 

• Solution

I found the problem. Norton 360 for gamers had game optimization automatically on and it was the source of all my problems. Thanks for the help anyways fellas.