Corsair Community

icue- fans wont react accordinely to high cpu temps.

hi all so i have h150 elite cappelix aio and yestreday during a full scan  my cpu was on full load and according to icue its temp reached to around 80c which is ok however i saw that my aio was like 35c fans were barely hitting 700 each, what can be the problem? 

We need a few small details to help you 😉

which CPU did you install?
How did you set the fans?
The 35°C is that the water temperature?

Posted (edited)

Edited by YoungVegabond

31 minutes ago, muvo said:

We need a few small details to help you 😉

which CPU did you install?
How did you set the fans?
The 35°C is that the water temperature?

hi thanks for the reply

my cpu is i9 10850k

my fans are pulling air from inside the case towards the outside (the radiator and fans are on the top).

as for the last question yes its the temp of the water.

I actually wanted to know how you set the fans in the Icue?

The water temperature should be low for as long as possible, because the warmer the water, the less heat it can absorb 😉

Radiators fans help dissipate heat from the water. The CPU is cooled conductively. The fans don’t help with that. The cpu temp will rise and fall as voltage is applied or removed, but the water temp is a reflection of accumulated heat over time. +1C to water temp is +1C to cpu temp and the same thing for cooling. Even if you cranked the fans to maximum and managed to reduce the coolant temp by 5C, your CPU temp would have been 75 instead of 80C. 

Whatever your cpu was doing, it was running pretty close to maximum. The AIO is not an air cooler and doesn’t need to spin up and down for every blip in cpu activity. Cooler type doesn’t really matter for short duration loads or spikes cpu behavior. Nevertheless, 700 rpm is a bit low for 35C coolant unless 33-35C is your normal coolant temp at idle. So fan curve selection is the relevant bit here. Are you using one of the presets?  Did you make something else?

Edited by c-attack

6 minutes ago, muvo said:

I actually wanted to know how you set the fans in the Icue?

The water temperature should be low for as long as possible, because the warmer the water, the less heat it can absorb 😉

oh sorry for the confusion here is the photo:

(fans 4 and 5 arent aio fans just some fans i cconected to commander core).

17041951148325770849891733952898.jpg

2 minutes ago, c-attack said:

Radiators fans help dissipate heat from the water. The CPU is cooled conductively. The fans don’t help with that. The cpu temp will rise and fall as voltage is applied or removed, but the water temp is a reflection of accumulated heat over time. +1C to water temp is +1C to cpu temp and the same thing for cooling. Even if you cranked the fans to maximum and managed to reduce the coolant temp by 5C, your CPU temp would have been 75 instead of 80C. 

Whatever your cpu was doing, it was running pretty close to maximum. The AIO is not an air cooler and doesn’t need to spin up and down for every blip in cpu activity. Cooler type doesn’t really matter for short duration loads or spikes cpu behavior. Nevertheless, 700 rpm is a bit low for 35C coolant unless 33-35C is your normal coolant temp at idle. So fan curve selection is the relevant bit here. Are you using one of the presets?  Did you make something else?

hi i'm using my own curve here is the pic:

17041953828187433868994068709685.jpg

You have set the icue to the water temperature of your cooling system.  As long as the water doesn't get warmer, the fans won't become active.  so that the CPU temperature only plays a minor role.  

Set the icue to "CPU package" and it will respond with the CPU.

Edited by muvo

8 minutes ago, muvo said:

You have set the icue to the water temperature of your cooling system.  As long as the water doesn't get warmer, the fans won't become active.  so that the CPU temperature only plays a minor role.  

Set the icue to "CPU package" and it will respond with the CPU.

oh i see thank you!

No problem, have fun with the cooling 🙂

Don't set the fans to react to CPU temp.  That's not how the cooler works and will make them unnecessarily aggressive without actually cooling the CPU.  It looks like the fans were following the curve you were using and I don't see anything wrong with it.  As mentioned previously, if you had maxed your fans out during 'the scan', you would have dropped the CPU temps only a few degrees.  The CPU was 80C because the CPU was working hard.  There is no avoiding that.  When your CPU loads up with 1.xx volts of Vcore, it will reach a specific temperature.  The fans cannot stop that at any speed.  

If you take a small air cooler, a 360mm AIO, and a massive 1m long external radiator and test them with the same CPU by running Stress Test X, each one will come back with the exact same CPU temperature at 100% load -- at least for a few seconds.  After that the small air cooler is not able to expel as much as added and you see the CPU temp start to tick up +1C every 5-10 seconds.  With the 360mm AIO this takes much longer and it may take 5-10 minutes for it to increase 5-6C before leveling off.  The huge external radiator can dissipate every bit of heat added by the CPU on a single pass and thus the water temp remains constant the entire time and therefore CPU stays the same and never increases.  So if the original first second of load CPU temp was 80C, the air cooler eventually hits its limit at 100C+, the AIO stops at 86-88C, and the external radiator never increased and remains 80C indefinitely.  This is what you are getting by moving up in radiator sizes and cooling capacities.  You can't ever prevent the initial CPU temp spike, but you can prevent it from getting hotter than that.  Your CPU was working.  Other than reducing the voltage, there is nothing you could have done with fans to reduce the temp unless this scan lasted 5-10 minutes.  And even then, max fans would have saved you 5C.  Up to you if that is worth the noise.  For every day normal CPU spikes with opening programs, etc., fan speed does not matter one bit for water cooling.  If those spikes are taking your CPU beyond your comfort level, then you need to  look at reducing the voltage or curbing the CPU behavior in a different way.  Those are all BIOS settings and very CPU specific.