Corsair Community

AX1600i PG Signal Question

wbrigner
Go to solution Solved by LeDoyen,

Hi Everyone,

I just received a refurbished AX1600i from an RMA for a defective refurbished AX1600i (which was from an RMA for a defective new AX1600i).  Before installing the PSU in my system, I tested it using both the built-in test button and a power supply tester.  The test button spun the fan and lit one of the LEDs green as expected, but testing the 24-pin cable with the power supply tester showed a failing/high PG signal.  Starting the PSU after letting it sit for a couple minutes would cause the PG signal to exceed 600ms, while power cycling the PSU with the tester would cause the PG signal to drop to ~520ms - which is still higher than the normal 100-500ms passing range.  Is the high PG signal expected behavior for this PSU, or is there some potential issue with it?  If there is an issue, it seems to me like it could be a capacitor problem.

Specs:
PSU:  AX1600i
Mobo:  Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha (prevents boot on high PG signal)
CPU:  AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
GPU:  2x PNY Revel RTX 3090

Cheers!

• Solution

the usual response would be : "Does the computer turn on ?"

you put in the specs that the mobo doesn't boot.

Some PSUs are higher, some PSUs have the PG signal in under 90ms. Just see if it boots.

It looks too high to me though. Usually recent power supplies have a shorter delay than what the spec states, not higher.

If indeed your RMA unit is not working, maybe try to ask for a HX1500i instead. you're already on your 3rd AX1600i 😛

Edited by LeDoyen

Hi,

Yeah, I haven't tried it in the PC yet.  Considering my experience with the first AX1600i (which failed in the computer after a month of use, fortunately without causing damage to any of the components), I thought it would be a good idea to double check before plugging a potentially faulty one into the computer.  I think I will be returning this one (as you said, most PSUs are well under the 500ms PG threshold), so I'll look into getting an HX1500i instead.  To be honest, I am halfway tempted to see if I can straight-up return the AX1600i and buy a new HX1500i instead of getting a refurbished one from the RMA.

Cheers!