Corsair Community

Will the 12VHPWR (CP-8920284) cable work on an AX1500i PSU?

Go to solution Solved by LeDoyen,

My AX1500i PSU uses Type 3 cables, and according to this forum thread the only difference between Type 3 and Type 4 cables is the 24-pin 

Does this mean that the 12VHPWR (CP-8920284) cable would work on my old AX1500i?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know?
I'd like to get this cable for my PSU now, so that i can be ready to install a new GPU later on.

• 2 months later...

Does no one really know if this Type-4 cable will work on the AX1500i ?

I am thinking to buy one of the following cables for my RTX 4080:

CP-8920284 (Regular version)
CP-8920331 (Sleeved version)

Edited by SuperConker

• Solution

yes it will work. The PSU accepts type 3 and 4 PCIE as you found out

Thank you so much for the answer,  and that is good news.

The AX1500i is not listed as supported, but if the cable works fine then i think Corsair should officially add this PSU to the list of supported models.

Especially since the 10-Year warranty period is not over yet for this model (which means a lot of people are still using it).

I would like to warn people about the Sleeved version (CP-8920331) which i ended up getting.

I just received mine today and it has horrible kinks in the cable (from the factory) right out of the packaging,
it's to the point where the cable feels weak internally where the kinks are.

The majority of the cable is stiff like it's supposed to be.

But where the kinks are located the cable is weak and feels like the wire inside the Sleeving is going to break in half if you were to bend it a couple of times.

Why are the cables bent like that from the factory?

There is more than enough room in the plastic bag it comes in to not need to bend the cable completely flat at like 180 degrees.

Is it even safe to use the cable when it's like that?

Corsair CP-8920331.png

Edited by SuperConker

every cable has a minimum bend radius. AFAIK kinked = derated = smoky times waiting to happen. Even without that it's a pretty bad cosmetic defect for sleeved cables. It's a factory dud, i'd send it back.

If you got it through a big retailer (amazon etc..) it'll be quicker to get it exchanged than by going through Corsair warranty usually.

Yeah, i was afraid it wasn't a good thing that the cable was bent/kinked like that right out of the package.

The cable has 3 folds in it, the fold in the middle had a normal curve to it (like you'd expect it to be right out of the package) and the cable feels perfectly fine there.

But the 2 folds in either end of the cable has been flattened almost 180 degrees at the factory and the cable is way to flexible in these 2 spots
(it feels like the cable would break internally if it were to be bent a few more times).