Corsair Community

Swapping out power supply for different one

Go to solution Solved by LeDoyen,

I'd say I'm decently knowledgeable when it comes to PCs. A lot I know how to do, I can swap pretty much any standard part and troubleshoot. 

However, I'm confused when it comes to swapping out my old PSU for a new one. Currently I have a Corsair CS750. I'm switching to a Corsair Hx1000i (black label) I read that I have to replace the cables as well (wasn't expecting that) 

My question is, do I also have to replace any extenders that are currently connected to the ends of the power supply cables as well? For example, my graphics card has a splitter that then is attached to a power supply cable. 

Or do the only cables that need to be replaced are the only ones that directly connect into the PSU?

Thankyou, hope yall understood my question and hope it's not a stupid one 🙂

Edited by nsaine
Spelling

splitters on PCIE is a tad risky since you double the load the cable was intended for. what GPU is it?

Apart from that, the CS and CS-M uses type 4 cables i believe, and the pre-2022 HXi uses type 3. I don't know if yours has some fixed cables or if it's a fully modular one.

Technically you could reuse your existing cables as only the motherboard 24 pin is different between types 3 and 4.

But it would be much better (and safer) to use one PCIE cable per GPU connector instead of using splitters.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

splitters on PCIE is a tad risky since you double the load the cable was intended for. what GPU is it?

Apart from that, the CS and CS-M uses type 4 cables i believe, and the pre-2022 HXi uses type 3. I don't know if yours has some fixed cables or if it's a fully modular one.

Technically you could reuse your existing cables as only the motherboard 24 pin is different between types 3 and 4.

But it would be much better (and safer) to use one PCIE cable per GPU connector instead of using splitters.

Yeah idk it is a corsair pre-built PC. I have a 3080Ti in it currently. But I'm getting ready for a 4090 at some point so I'm upgrading the PSU. The build quality is good so I'm sure the cables are fine. However,  I do not think the cs750 they put in their uses type 4 cables, the new hx1000i uses type 4.

Also, I need to know if absolutely all cables and extenders would need to be replaced or is it just the cables that specifically plug into the power supply that matter when swapping different PSUs.

if it's the new HX1000i then yea it's type 4

For the CS i don't know. the old table only lists the CS-M, but i assume they use the same standard. the type 3 has been discontinued a long time ago, i believe the previous HXi may have been the last serie to use it.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/legacy-psu-cable-compatibility

The extenders just.. extend the PCIE pinout, so there's no issue using them with any type or brand of PSU since they don't plug direct to the PSU (those pinouts ON the PSU are specific, but the graphics card end is standard obviously).

But for a 4090 you'll be better off using a straight out 12VHPWR cable instead of fiddling with PCIE cables anyway. that's for later 🙂

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

if it's the new HX1000i then yea it's type 4

For the CS i don't know. the old table only lists the CS-M, but i assume they use the same standard. the type 3 has been discontinued a long time ago, i believe the previous HXi may have been the last serie to use it.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/legacy-psu-cable-compatibility

The extenders just.. extend the PCIE pinout, so there's no issue using them with any type or brand of PSU since they don't plug direct to the PSU (those pinouts ON the PSU are specific, but the graphics card end is standard obviously).

But for a 4090 you'll be better off using a straight out 12VHPWR cable instead of fiddling with PCIE cables anyway. that's for later 🙂

Yeah not finding much about the CS750 either, It's definitely different than the CSM, weird... So you think I should just go ahead and replace all cables? I know you said only the Mobo had to be replaced but you were looking at a CSM right?

Also, not just the PCI extenders but any extenders or cables connected to the end of a power supply cable wouldnt need to be replaced right? Just want to be crystal clear that whenever swapping out PSUs and lets say they are completely different only the cables that actually plug in to PSU side need to match.

thanks for all your help

also here is the link for it https://www.corsair.com/zh/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/CS-Series™/p/CP-9020239-CN

cant find much about the cabling 

Edited by nsaine

when you say extenders do you mean the PSU cables or the fancy sleeved extensions that plug at the end of the PSU cables and then to the components to look nicer ?

In general it's better to change the PSU and the cables, and to not use cable extensions since these cause voltage drops (and hence generate some heat in the process too when under load, even good quality ones).

if you want to use cable extensions, they don't need to be replaced no. they just use the standard connexions for PCIE, EPS12V etc etc. it's universal.

now, if that CS PSU is fully modular, you'll quickly know if it's type 4 or not. the type 3 motherboard cable, on the PSU end has less pins than type 4. If the existing connectors fit, it's type 4 😛

But anyway it's not a big job to replace those cables. mobo and PCIE are very easy to route. Only the EPS12V can be a little annoying to pass if the top of the case is busy, like a top mounted AIO in a small case.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

when you say extenders do you mean the PSU cables or the fancy sleeved extensions that plug at the end of the PSU cables and then to the components to look nicer ?

In general it's better to change the PSU and the cables, and to not use cable extensions since these cause voltage drops (and hence generate some heat in the process too when under load, even good quality ones).

if you want to use cable extensions, they don't need to be replaced no. they just use the standard connexions for PCIE, EPS12V etc etc. it's universal.

now, if that CS PSU is fully modular, you'll quickly know if it's type 4 or not. the type 3 motherboard cable, on the PSU end has less pins than type 4. If the existing connectors fit, it's type 4 😛

But anyway it's not a big job to replace those cables. mobo and PCIE are very easy to route. Only the EPS12V can be a little annoying to pass if the top of the case is busy, like a top mounted AIO in a small case.

Okay thanks

and O my.. IDK how I missed it, but if you see that link for the CS750 PSU, it does indeed say its type 4 cabling.... am I 100% in the clear at this point to use every single cable with my hx100i? This would really make this swap easy and no stress.

https://www.corsair.com/zh/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/CS-Series™/p/CP-9020239-CN?_gl=1*nu27ut*_gcl_aw*R0NMLjE2Nzg2ODk2MzguQ2owS0NRaUFqYmFnQmhEM0FSSXNBTlJycUV0UXhZOERKQnlvLW9jZ21MY0NLcWg4WGlrSkYwdGFkcktwN0JmeEFZOWpWNFlRaC15WTFHZ2FBanNNRUFMd193Y0I.&_ga=2.113218253.811050250.1678617229-401406842.1677998945&_gac=1.158293320.1678689648.Cj0KCQiAjbagBhD3ARIsANRrqEtQxY8DJByo-ocgmLcCKqh8XikJF0tadrKp7BfxAY9jV4YQh-yY1GgaAjsMEALw_wcB#tab-tech-specs

Edited by nsaine

• Solution

Damn, you have spotted the one PSU where they say what type it is lol

Then yes it's completely plug & play. drop-in replacement.

• Thanks 1