Corsair Community

iCUE & Armoury Crate for RGB Lighting

--MAILMAN-

If this has already been answered I did not find it in my search.

The Corsair instructions for integrating these two applications to control the motherboard RGB is straight forward.  The instructions state that Armoury Crate will need to be installed.  The instructions further explain that iCUE only needs the plug in from Armoury Crate and that Armoury Crate does not have to run.

These instructions don't say how to stop Armoury Crate from running.

So how does one stop Armoury Crate and all of its tentacles from running at start up or in the background?

I just finished a chat session with ASUS to inquire if and how you can stop Armoury Crate from running at windows startup and also stop it from automatically updating.  They also said the newest version of Armoury Crate has no conflicts with iCUE and can run at the same time.

ASUS said:

The only way to stop Armoury Crate from running  is after windows has finished loading you have to open the task bar and end it.  They make no mention of how to stop the tasks and services that Armoury Crate also runs when it starts.  This means I would have to perform this action each and every time the PC gets rebooted.  There is no option in the installation steps or in the UI to prevent/turn off Armoury Crate from running at windows start up.

ASUS also said:

There is no option to stop automatic updates of Armoury Crate either in the installation options or in the Application UI.  According to ASUS the user has to go to the Microsoft Store and stop Automatic Updates of all the applications installed on a persons PC.

My wife and I are running Aura Synch;   AURA_Win10-64bit_V1.05.32.02_20180307version.  We can control the RGB lighting on my ASUS ROG STRIXZ370-E gaming and her ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming with this version.

The later version of Aura Synch;  Lighting_Control_1.07.84_v2 did not want to work with the iCUE installations on either of our PC's.

I am fine with my RGB lighting setup, but my wife has an ASUS Tuf Gaming 3060ti V2 OC which has an RGB LED that can be controlled with Aura Sync (not her current versions which could in turn be controlled by iCUE if she uninstalls Aura Synch and then installs Armoury Crate which has an Aura Synch as part of the package.  She just does not want the added baggage of Armoury Crate's app nor its tasks and services running in the background.

So if someone could tell me

How to turn off Armoury Crate running at Windows Startup and Stop Armoury Crate from auto updating it would be greatly appreciated.  If either of these are even possible.  If it can't be done then she will live without the video card RGB synching with the rest of the RGB lighting.

Thanks

Thanks.

• Corsair Employee

In order for iCUE to have control over the RGB effects of Asus motherboards or GPUs, Armoury Crate must be installed, and its services running. If you significant other does not like the fact that Armoury Crate requires the extra services to be running, even when the software itself is not, then unfortunately we don't have a solution for you as those services still have to be running.

The older version of Aura Sync that you have referenced are no longer supported or guaranteed to work with the iCUE integration as Asus as discontinued support for the older Aura Sync software. Therefore there is no guarantee for compatibility or support with the Asus provided plugin that iCUE utilizes to detect and control Asus RGB motherboards and GPUs. In fact the older versions of Aura Sync have been known to cause iCUE to crash on startup due to its incompatibility with the Asus programmed, and provided plugin for iCUE.

FYI

This older version of  AURA_Win10-64bit_V1.05.32.02_20180307 is working with iCUESetup_4.22.203_release on both my Z370-E and her Z390-E.  We have lighting profiles for various applications and games and they all switch automatically when they are launched.  All of the RGB headers on these two motherboards as well as the Corsair RGB peripherals are being controlled through the iCue 4 software.  The only services from Aura Sync that are running are the lighting services and yes these do run at windows start up.  We never open the Aura Sync. application for anything.

Her concern as is mine  is the services and tasks not related to RGB lighting.  We don't want Armoury Crate with all its problems controlling our liquid cooling, fans, processors etc. or bogging down our PC's.  We have those components set in the BIOS the way we want them.

I guess she will need to decide if it is worth installing Armoury Crate to control her video card LED.  I don't have to make that choice, my RTX 2080 Ti Founder Edition LED won't show up in iCUE regardless of whether Armoury Crate is installed or not.

Thank you for the explanation

• Haha 1

On 11/17/2022 at 6:41 PM, --MAILMAN- said:

This older version of  AURA_Win10-64bit_V1.05.32.02_20180307 is working with iCUESetup_4.22.203_release on both my Z370-E and her Z390-E.

You may be able to get away with this on the older motherboards.  The newer models will not work with the older standalone Aura programs.  You also might have some in BIOS basic color options on those boards, something that was strangely pushed out the following cycle.  The massive volume of services in Armory Crate is something to consider, especially when Asus' own cleaning tool is designed not to remove them all.  One solution to all of this is to turn off the MB lighting in  the BIOS.  The dark beauty of the board may be more compelling with a healthy dose of RGB from elsewhere.  It gets to be very difficult to match color tones with different LED types and materials regardless.  The GPU going dark is a tougher pill to swallow, but as mentioned above there is no way for CUE to commandeer the motherboard.  It communicates with it through the Amory Crate/Aura software.  

• Like 1

"You may be able to get away with this on the older motherboards.  The newer models will not work with the older standalone Aura programs."

EXACTLY

This statement absolutely makes zero sense.  We aren't even talking about newer models.  We are talking about the here and now, two specific motherboards the Z370-E and Z390-E and no other motherboards: older or newer.

"You also might have some in BIOS basic color options on those boards, something that was strangely pushed out the following cycle.  The massive volume of services in Armory Crate is something to consider, especially when Asus' own cleaning tool is designed not to remove them all.  One solution to all of this is to turn off the MB lighting in  the BIOS.  The dark beauty of the board may be more compelling with a healthy dose of RGB from elsewhere.  It gets to be very difficult to match color tones with different LED types and materials regardless.  The GPU going dark is a tougher pill to swallow, but as mentioned above there is no way for CUE to commandeer the motherboard.  It communicates with it through the Amory Crate/Aura software." 

I would like to thank you for your input and advice, but I just can't in good conscience do that because it has absolutely nothing to do with this thread.  I am just sorry I spent a couple of minutes reading this crap from someone who obviously likes to read his/her own writing and thinks it impresses people.  I would highly recommend coming down off of your pulpit.  I think the air has gotten a little too thin for you.

Corsair Notepad clearly articulated what had to be done.  End of story.  Nothing else needed to be added unless it was contradictory to what Corsair Notepad said.

I think it high time that the admin just lock this thread.  The information has been asked and answered.

• Haha 1

If you want private correspondence with Corsair Support, you need to use the ticket system from the main Corsair website.  This is a public forum and if you write a response that leaves open questions about what you should do, don't be surprised when people answer.  I deeply apologize for the few seconds I have stolen from your life, although if it did take you several minutes to read that short paragraph perhaps you should ask someone to read it to you again.  You are injecting some twisted meaning into those words without any logical basis.  Nevertheless, I assure you it won't happen again.  I know exactly who you are now.  I am sure you hear that a lot.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/19/2022 at 8:26 PM, c-attack said:

One solution to all of this is to turn off the MB lighting in  the BIOS.  The dark beauty of the board may be more compelling with a healthy dose of RGB from elsewhere.  It gets to be very difficult to match color tones with different LED types and materials regardless.  The GPU going dark is a tougher pill to swallow, but as mentioned above there is no way for CUE to commandeer the motherboard.  It communicates with it through the Amory Crate/Aura software. 

This was the complete waste of my time to which I was referring.  It had absolutely nothing to do with the original post/question especially since Corsair_Notepad had already answered the question and explained why.

I don't know who you think I am, but keep obsessing on it if that floats your boat.  I have and had only one user name, this one & posted a few dozen times in seven years so go on a fishing expedition if you think I am someone else for all I care.  I don't waste my time coming to forums to get help to just get trolled (see your quote above).  99% percent of the people here provide helpful or well intentioned answers.  Some just like to read their own words.

I only came here now because I forgot to turn off" follow topic" and got a notification.

I didn't come here to get into a pissing contest with any member on this forum.

I am done with this thread. and Follow topic is off so post away to your hearts content for your audience.

Edited by --MAILMAN-
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I just got my Asus MB and GPU to work without Amoury Crate installed. 

So I wanted to leave this here for everyone else. I uninstalled Amoury Crate and iCue (you may not need too). Installed iCue 5.8.130

Then I followed this post 

After I ran AacVGASetup and AacMBSetup, I install the Asus plugin on iCue and after restarting iCue they popped right up and let me control them.

asus added a tool for integration in Armory crate. Go to Aura effects->in game lighting->Game list, and move icue to the top to allow icue to control lighting