Corsair Community

Rm850x (2018) working for a day or two then shutting down randomly

Go to solution Solved by LeDoyen,

Hi

I've had the PSU for two years. I can get it to run my pc no matter what load for a day or two shutting down every night once done so it's not been left constantly on.

After a day or so I start hearing this high pitched whine and then around 10 to 20 minutes later my pc will fully shutdown instantly. It will continue to boot up, whine and shutdown no matter the load until I go round the back and unplug the power cable for around 10 minutes and then the process starts again.

Should note every time I've done this it now feels like the time between normal function and then the whine and shutdown is getting shorter and shorter. I've got a feeling soon it won't be able to be fixed for a day at all.

I've submitted an rma around 10 or so days ago but haven't heard a response yet so wondering if anybody can think of a fix while I'm waiting.

Anybody has experience with the RMA recently aswell as I'm considering replacing this unit with another PSU if this is not going to be able to be replaced soon. I'm in the UK so just wondering a rough time frame

Thank you

"shutting down every night", you mean just turning off the PC or powering down the PSU with its switch on the back every night?

• Solution

nah it's actually worse to switch it off physically everyday.

I was worried that's what was done, so it's probably not a damaged primary side, which is usually the easiest to diagnose. From there you really have to followup with the support ticket (patiently ^^') to get the RMA accepted.

Since the problem is not load dependent, it really looks like a dodgy PSU, and not a PC problem.

They have got in contact me so I'll go ahead and mark yours as the solution since it seems like it will need to be an RMA.

Thank you