Corsair Community

iCue 4.30.162 - Increasing GPU usage and consumption. QmlRenderer.exe

LeLoT3
Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

Hello guys!

With the new update for icue, I noticed that my PC is consuming way more energy when in Idle state, than before.

Before the update it was 140W...now after update it is 240W.

I track down this difference to the GPU, before in Idle was 20w and now it is 113W.... In the Task manager I can see the QmlRenderer.exe using the GPU, and before was never there.
If I restart the PC sometimes it stop and go back to normal IDLE as before.

I'm  using Win11 with the latest update and all driver up to date.

It could be the new Mosaic BETA feature?

I am getting the same issue. Icue using 100% gpu at desktop

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, John Hoang said:

Are you using Murals effect? It will consume GPU

no. Murals is not on.  Just my normal light and profiles that I always used,  😜

2 hours ago, manta said:

I am getting the same issue. Icue using 100% gpu at desktop

Not only that.... it also keep the Core Frequency high (not maximum) and the power (W) also higher than usual.

Same just static blue colour and GPU usage is 80%

• Solution

I believe the QMLRender service is associated with the LCD top and not the Murals/Scenes features, although using video or monitor dependent lighting will use gpu resources as well. 

I would say switch to a static or standard lighting preset (no lcd graphics) and see how gpu usage compares, but the post above is concerning. Try the standard repair install from the Windows Apps list. That will not erase profiles or settings. 

If no success, check your Nvidia/AMD control panel and make sure you’re not set to max performance or something else where it’s going to throw the full gpu at a minor task. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, c-attack said:

I believe the QMLRender service is associated with the LCD top and not the Murals/Scenes features, although using video or monitor dependent lighting will use gpu resources as well. 

I would say switch to a static or standard lighting preset (no lcd graphics) and see how gpu usage compares, but the post above is concerning. Try the standard repair install from the Windows Apps list. That will not erase profiles or settings. 

If no success, check your Nvidia/AMD control panel and make sure you’re not set to max performance or something else where it’s going to throw the full gpu at a minor task. 

Tried to not use anything in the LCD... Didn't work.

Nvidia it's in normal power usage, (No Performance)...Still the same.

...for other hand... Using the REPAIR from Corsair, so far the error didn't repeat. If change, I'll post here to update.

• 3 weeks later...

In my case, the Corsair iCue processes are using too much CPU. I didn't have this problem before updating to iCue 4.30.162. I'm on Windows 11.

The top processes on my system, when idle, are from Corsair: QmlRenderer.exe (1.2% CPU), and Corsair.Service.CpuIdRemote64.exe (0.5% CPU). Together they use about 1.7% CPU. That's more than 3 times more CPU than before the lastest update.

All my LEDs are set to static black, and I don't have an "LCD top", whatever that is. I only use iCue to control the fans and pump on my H115i Elite Capellix, and sometimes to monitor the temperatures and fan/pump speeds.

Maybe 1.7% CPU doesn't sound like much, but on my 8-core 5800X CPU that represents 13.6% of one core, a significant amount, in my opinion. To put this in perspective, it uses thousands of times more CPU cycles than the Apollo Guidance Computer, which took people to the moon.

Not sure about other people, but I find this unacceptable. I mean, if I had hardware from 5 different hardware vendors, and each of them had this problem with their software, each one using around 2% of my CPU, they would use a total of around 10% of my CPU, keeping 80% of one core busy continously. When idle.

And this is not hypothetical. ASUS has introduced a similar problem with their latest GPU control software, so I had to stop using it. But the fact that Corsair is not the only offender in this regard is no excuse. This trend of producing software that uses tons of CPU cycles for no good reason must stop.

So, could we get an option to disable the visual effects part of this software, or at least this new resource hog, QmlRenderer.exe, if it can't be optimized to use less CPU? I would stop using the iCue software completely, but the pump and fans are way too noisy with the hardware defaults, so that's not a sollution.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
It also annoyed me that I have a higher CPU/GPU utilization due to Murals even though I don't use Murals.
I only have the Dominator RAM bars in the system and still this unnecessary load.

I couldn't find anything as a solution but I was able to identify QmlRenderer.exe as the trigger. 
So I simply tried to end this in the company, which had no negative impact on the company. 
I moved the file and when I shut down Windows I got error messages because QmlRenderer.exe was no longer 
there. So I created my own empty QmlRenderer.exe. There is absolutely nothing in the file - 
but it is loaded when ICUE starts but cannot do anything due to the lack of content. 
As a result, there is no longer any CPU or GPU utilization.

problem solved for me till next ICUE update comes.
After an update of ICUE you have to replace the original QmlRenderer.exe with the empty QmlRenderer.exe.
To create it you just need to create a QmlRenderer.bat and then search the internet for bat 2 exe and 
create an exe file from the batch file. Complete. Only takes a few minutes.
I hope the solution helps a little for all of you who don't want to live with the problem.