Corsair Community

ICue Doing My Peanut In

After spending ages to get all fans and Leds running correctly to the 6 ML series fans and the Hydro X Pump and Res now 4 have stopped lighting and 1 is only lighting partial .

Deleated and re-installed ICue still does it and tbh it seems as thought it has a mind of its own .

Why is this all over complecated fans go Wirr and Leds light up not in this vitual world they dont .

We all spend a load of money on this equipment and at the moment very dissapointed 😞 

All wiring and conections have been checked and rechecked but cannot see whats going on .

All parts are around two years old but should last more than that 

IMG_4970.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

Edited by EatMyPixels

• Corsair Employee

If you have the controller you are using for the fans set to ML fans in the Lighting Setup then that is likely the cause of your issue as those are not ML RGB fans that you have based on those pictures. Those are LL RGB Series fans.

14 hours ago, Corsair Notepad said:

If you have the controller you are using for the fans set to ML fans in the Lighting Setup then that is likely the cause of your issue as those are not ML RGB fans that you have based on those pictures. Those are LL RGB Series fans.

Thanks for the reply and sorry you are correct they are LL series fans and the controller is set to LL 

What are you using for a RGB controller?  I am assuming a Commander Pro and the LL connect to a RGB hub which in turn goes to LED port 1/2. Also going to assume the XD5 is on the other led port. 

The RGB lighting hub is serial, so if a led fails on fan 2, the lighting generally stops right at that point and downstream is dark. You can test each fan on the #1 port while set to 255/255/255 white to look for the bad fan. You likely have a guess as to where to start. Hoever, the the XD5 is not on that circuit, so if it’s out too there may be a larger problem with the Commander Pro. Any changes on its power delivery lately?  PSU change, new devices on the same SATA ribbon, etc.?

Thanks for your help 

I unplugged all RGB and tested each fan and they all work but only on 2 out of the 6  ports of the Lighting node the rest seem dead .

Also swapped the Node for a different one and still the same plus it does not show up on ICue .

All fans work ok the XD5 works ok as its on a different circuit with a 2 way Node just running the pump lights and 2 strips which all seem fine .

Could the new firmware/software be causing the trouble as everything seemed ok and stated after doing some updates ?

was going to buy a commander core XT but why should I keep paying for new items when the original only seems to work for a small time This is the 3rd commander the system has had 😞 

I can’t remember the last time the Commander Pro got a firmware update. It’s been years. Is there another controller type in the mix?

A bit concerning you are having issues with multiple Commander Pro units. Historically the fan speed controller circuit had some vulnerability especially with DC fans, but that does not seem to apply here and it’s usually a very obvious PWM/DC port fail with the fan maxed out. Lighting power is through the RGB lighting hub and since you’ve already swapped a new one in, I’m not sure what to suggest. If you have not done so already, start the support ticket. 

A Commander XT is a different circuit board and not really a descendant of the Commander Pro. You might have better luck, but as you said it’s not overly reasonable to suggest you need to go buy a different controller. I’ve been using multiple Commander Pro units in multiple custom water cooled systems for years. Aside from the fan port vulnerability, I’ve never seen a lighting issue. 

XD5 and 2 strips?  That would be both LED ports since those don’t naturally daisy chain. Is that a second Commander Pro?  Or is there a Lighting Node Pro or Lighting Node Core mixed in here?

Ok so no confusion I have added pictures of the items I am using .

The 2 way one controls the strips and XD5 lighting and the 6 way one controls the fans RGB .

All worked fine for under two years until now and then only 2 fans RGB worked .

Reinstalled ICue a number of times no luck but now it does not see the RGB Hub or XD5 

well weird 

IMG_4979.JPG

IMG_4981.JPG

IMG_4982.JPG

The little one with 2 led channels is the Lightning Node Pro. My understanding is that’s pump and strips and is fine. 

The RGB fans are on the RGB lighting hub and connected to the LED channel on the Commander Pro. The RGB hub is a serial device as is the fan led path. One of the trickier problem to diagnose is when a fan goes bad on the lead into the first led or after the last. So instead of the classic half lit fan giving a clear indication of the issue, it appears as if the lighting simply stops prematurely. Nearly all lighting issues on the Commander Pro are of this type. You may have to methodically build out 1-2, 1-2-3, 1-2-3-4, etc. until you find the problem. The hub can be the broken link too, but it looks like you’ve already addressed that. 

You should be able to live plug in the fans on the RGB hub in order.  I don't see any need to take them out or pull wiring out.  It still is a PITA, but not a horrific one.  

When you say in order does this make a differance?  Or is it Fan power in slot 1 on Commander  then  RGB is in slot 1 on Node because I dont think it was ever wired that way .

i have not bought any new parts yet but is the new type commander better than the one I have it look more compact 

Specifically on the RGB lighting hub, the fans must go in numerical order 1-2-3-4-5-6. If you leave a space, the circuit is broken and the fans after the gap will not light up. The same principle applies if there is a fan with a dead section. All fans downstream go out. Where it gets tricky is when fans 1-2-3 are fully lit and 4-5-6 are not. While possible #4 is bad, it can also be at the end of #3 on the return. The check against that is to try fan #4 in the #1 slot on the RGB hub. If it doesn’t light up, it’s bad. If it does, then you move #3 to 1 and see if that knocks out #2 suggesting the problem is at the end of fan1. 

LED port 1 vs 2 does not matter. The RGB hub should work in #2 with LED 1 empty. I think you mentioned you already tried that and a problem here would likely affect the entire fan array and not just select parts of the chain. 

The Commander XT is just slightly smaller than a Commander Pro, so only advantageous if you are really tight on space. There are some other differences as well. It’s a PWM only controller. No DC 3 pin fans. Its RGB hub circuitry is internal so direct rgb connection and no RGB lighting hub. However, that also means less space inside for other stuff. It has only 2 temp probes vs the 4 on the Commander Pro, 1 usb passthrough instead of 2, and then 1 LED port is the second rgb channel. There doesn’t seem to be clear evidence the C-Pro is at fault here, but if you e been going through Commander Pros for other reasons I can see why you might consider a change.

There is one additional difference with Commander Core/XT controllers. They have individual RGB port lighting for the fans. On those two controllers, a bad fan should only take out that fan and not the others on the circuit. It does make identifying these types of issues fairly simple. 

Ok I have spent most of the afternoon playing with this problem and this is what I have found 

Swapped numerous RGB Hubs (or what ever you call them with no joy /traced each cable and identified it to a certain fan/At one point had all 6 working turned off PC back to square one.

Found a spare brand new LL fan to use to identfy dead ports if any on hub .It seems now ports 1-3 are fine 4-6 may not be ...............  but this is not consistant 😞 

Gone over and over ICue settings till I am purple no real reasons why this is 

The system has been working fine until this problem SO is it the Commander again playing tricks ??

Now at the mo after spending OOdles of money with corsair this should not happen 

What next Over to you Corsair 

One pissed off Bunny 

Spent another day of my life trying to sort this out 😞 

I have swopped com pro still the same swapped RGB controller still the same only lights on ports 1-3 deleated and reloaded ICue and a fresh install nothing except for massive bugs like loosing items and also not showing Hydro X then showing no consistancy .

Tried old ICue still the same .

At one stage had all six working to a fashion then turn off PC and restarted back to normail 3 working perfect other three nothing .

So now what ?go back to a Spectrum with no RGB