Corsair Community

Corsair HX1000i

splash99

Hi, my PSU is a Corsair HX1000i bought in 2021. I can't understand the table for 12 to 8 pin cable you sell, so could you please tell me if my PSU is compatible with that cable?

Do I really need that cable? What would happen  if I use the 3 x 8pin/4x 8 pin to 12 pin adapter/cable shipped with 4090 graphics cards? In my PSU I have two 8 pin ports in use by EPS motherboard cables and there are four more 8 pin ports, and in the box there were 4 PCIe 8 pin (6+2) cables (if I remember well, currently I'm using two of them for my GTX 1070). Apparently I don't need to buy anything else.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by splash99

the cable works on all the PSUs that are Type 4 compatible.

Your PSU is type 3, but the only difference between type 3 and 4 is the motherboard connector. All others, SATA, molex, EPS and PCIE are the same.

So in the end, that cable is totally compatible yes.  Maybe corsair should revise the cable product page to say that it's compatible with all type 3 and 4 PSUs...

For the adapters, there was an explanation on another post i can't find right now. Basically, the squid cables with 3 or 4 PCIE connectors take into account that you may connect them to cables that follow the ATX spec of 150W max per cable.

The Corsair cable can take 300W per 8 pin socket, so you get the same 600W rating with only two connexions.

You could use either solutions.

Also, i don't know what CPU you use but there's overwhelming chances that you do not need two EPS12V to run it, unless it uses beyond 300 - 350W constantly. That could help if you're short with 8 pins connexions on the PSU.

Personally, i'd rather advise to use the new cable. Less connexions = less contact losses and eventual voltage drop/heating issues on the cables.

Plus a massive cable squid is quite the eye sore 😛